Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIC record query

Options
  • 18-05-2014 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Following on from a previous query, I have an RIC record which states a constable was located in Cork E but I know that he was based in Ballydesmond in West Cork in Jan '56 a month before he resigned.

Is the reference in the RIC record to Cork E the first place he was sent to and might he have been transferred to Ballydesmond later on?

Any idea what would a constable earn back then?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Did you see the RIC record on the microfilms in National Archives? It usually lists the postings for each RIC member.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Thanks,

I have a copy of the page with his record. Out of the 10 entries on the page, only 3 of the policemen had more than 1 location/county recorded, They all joined up in Dec'49 and 6 of them had resigned by early '56, another 2 were dismissed and the remaining 2 were pensioned! The only married guy on the page was from Carlow, stationed in Sligo for 8 years, where he wedded a local lass which resulted in a transfer to Leitrim where he stayed for next 22 years!

I assume Co Cork was divided into 3 areas - Cork E, W & City.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KK Supercats

Did you try the Garda museum? They are very helpful and will give as much information as they can over email. I have got great information in the past on service, different districts and on one occasion salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

There's an RIC facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/126602292427/

They can help with RIC queries.

Many thanks, KildareFan.

I have fired off an email to the Gardai Museum as suggested above so will await to see if I get a reply from them first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

KildareFan wrote: »
    There's an RIC facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/126602292427/

They can help with RIC queries.

I did not know about this. Thanks. It might help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Jim Herlihy who compiled the index of RIC men contributes to the RIC facebook page and is very helpful.

Good news! I got a reply back from the Garda Museum (even though they are closed).

I was informed that Kingwilliamstown was a part of the County of Cork, East Riding, at that time and the District Office was at Kanturk.

According to Jim Herlihy’s RIC book the Act of 1836 allowed £25 per year as a salary.

Advertisement