Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitkat. Is it worth waiting?

Options
  • 18-05-2014 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I’ve been waiting to buy a new phone for a while. There are a few phones that have caught my eye but none of them have kitkat.

Is it worth waiting it out? They seem to be very slow in getting release.

Do ye reckon it is a big leap over the previous version of android.

Thanks

Barr :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Barr wrote: »
    Is it worth waiting it out?
    If there is a likelihood of the device you are thinking of getting dropping in price shortly then yes. If all you are worried about is a new software version then no, you'll only end up waiting for the next big update or the next phone refresh.

It would be expected that a new version of Android will be announced at Google I/O at the end of June. Kitkat was announced over 6 months ago, frankly if the manufacturer of the device you are looking at getting hasn't announced it will be getting Kitkat by now it more than likely will never get it (officially).

There is always XDA. The device you are thinking of may already have a (fairly) stable version of Kitkat available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Get a phone that you can update easily yourself and do not wait. Kitkat is on the market for a last 6 months - before you get your phone there will be new version and you'll be waiting again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I upgraded from 4.2 to 4.4 recently and I'm not having any massively different user experience. It unlocked 4G on my phone which was excellent but otherwise I find it very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

danthefan wrote: »
    Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I upgraded from 4.2 to 4.4 recently and I'm not having any massively different user experience. It unlocked 4G on my phone which was excellent but otherwise I find it very similar.

What kind of phone is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Barr wrote: »
    What kind of phone is it ?

Sony Xperia Z1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Two point releases won't have many visual changes. Whereas the difference between 2.3 and 4.0 are much more noticeable as expected. There are also less visual changes between 4.2 and 4.4 for non nexus (or GPE) devices. There are benefits in upgrading that aren't always visual which you need to take into account too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Sony Xperia Z1.

4.4.2 has been released for the Z1

Source: I'm running it.

Advertisement