Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a audio media library that can stream to device?

Options
  • 18-05-2014 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, not sure if I got the right forum, but I've tried a few media players (winamp, musicbee) and none of them can stream to a local player.
    I've a stereo that was able to play from windows media player if I right clicked on a file and went to "play to", you would see a list of devices connected to my home router. But WMP lack of flac support (even with the plug in, it's rubbish) has turned me off.
    I like winamp and have the latest version, but it after searching, it seems it can't do this.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Depends on the Stereo/Device you have, make and model, or what it supports?

Is it through UPnP or DNLA?

For DNLA, I use Serviio to share media between PCs/PS3/XBOX360/Android devices.

Website www.serviio.org

The handy thing is, it can use playlists if your device supports'em. And uses your MP3 tags for genres and such as well.

You don't need the paid version at all, but there's a short trial of Premium included if you want to give the other features a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If something works and I use it regularly, I've no problem paying for it!
    I want it to stream to an Onkyo CR-N755, I've just set up Foobar2000 and got it working, but haven't had time to properly test it, just got it to play one song at a time which isn't great.
    It'll be through DNLA, so I'll give Serviio a go to see if I can get that working, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭catfax

Serviio isn't a controller just a server so you would have to browse using a third party controller, most DLNA controllers are on tablets/phones, controllers for PC's are very rare as you've noticed.

XBMC has a UPnP/DLNA controller built in, enable feature in settings and right click a file then selecting play using and it will list any compatible receivers on the network but whether it works with playlists I do not know.

MonkeyMedia is also another with a DLNA controller built in but costs money to buy.

BubbleUPnP is one of the best Android DLNA controllers if you have a tablet, combine BubbleUPnP with a music focused UPnP/DLNA server like Asset and you get a pretty good system.

Airfoil is another option that runs on your computer and sends the audio output from any application to any Airplay reciever on the network if your sound system does not support Airplay it's possible to use an Airport Express with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

does the logitech media server work for anything other than the squeezebox range? if so, that's a great stream software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

I do know there's a Squeezebox addon for XBMC, I've used it before to stream audio simultaneously to two XBMC boxes

For me XBMC (Htpc running Openelec) and the Yatse app for Android is all I need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

does the logitech media server work for anything other than the squeezebox range? if so, that's a great stream software.

Yes I have used it on my PC to stream to other devices.

For those who might have an interest, there is a squeezebox project called Squeezeplug which converts a R-Pi into a streaming server/player. It is based on LogitechMediaServer (LMS).

I set one up for a family member and he is using it very successfully.

http://www.squeezeplug.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭scuba8

You could try JRiver which will play anything,including hi res files.
    I think it costs about 50 dollars. It is a really good player which can also rip CDs and DVDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭fuse

A couple of other options:
    http://twonky.com/
    http://mediatomb.cc/

Or using a raspberry pi:
    http://www.volumio.com/

Or:
    I'm currently using Squeezeplug on Raspberry Pi as Johnboy mentioned above. It uses Logitech Media Server and it does everything I need.
    I can send audio from my phone to it, or I can stream from it to my phone using an app called iPeng.
    It also plays Internet Radio & Spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I suppose the benefit of something like the R-Pi is that with a change of SD card it can become something else ....... and easily revert back if required.

I have my Pi presently running Openelec in the bedroom which provides LiveTV and stored media from the HTPC server.

Advertisement