Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer job for Maynooth student

Options
  • 18-05-2014 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, We're a family 3km from Maynooth town in the countryside looking for a student for the summer to look after our 2 year twins Ben and Lily. Female only and someone that loves kids! Bike available. E100 a week for 40 hours mainly looking after the twins a some light housework. Work during the week predominately 9-5 - weekends off. To start ASAP. PM for more info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

You'd be lucky to get someone to work for €2.50 an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

Hi, We're a family 3km from Maynooth town in the countryside looking for a student for the summer to look after our 2 year twins Ben and Lily. Female only and someone that loves kids! Would suit someone either living in our out. Bike available. E100 a week for 40 hours mainly looking after the twins a some light housework. Work during the week predominately 9-5 - weekends off.

So you are willing to pay €2.50 per hour to look after your twins. You must be kidding!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HopperSheena

We would provide accommodation and food too! It's an au pair position but thought we would throw it out to students too if they were interested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Careful with the personal number on the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Accommodation & food aside (I'd expect food to be included for someone coming into home to mind kids), accommodation is totally seperate...

Not to mention you're also responsible for PRSI etc...

You're entrusting the safety of your kids to someone who'd make more flipping burgers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 HopperSheena

I appreciate its not for everyone and also depends on which way you look at it. When I was a student I did work experience to gain experience in the field I was looking to get into so really its for someone who wants come childcare experience. I work from home so I wouldn't be leaving them with full responsibility. What I've quoted is the going rate for au pairs. I expect you're not familiar with this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Only people I could see this appealing to would be international students looking to improve their English or something. Only childcare type courses we have in Maynooth are primary school teaching and I can't imagine any of them willing to work for that money.

I can't see anyone else being willing to work for so little aside from someone whos looking to improve their English or something.

I mean for context I'm being paid €460 a week to work 6 days a week in a Summer camp for the summer doing pretty similar work, supervising kids etc. thats a 10 minute drive from my house and I wouldn't even consider that, that fantastically paid. It's just about acceptable to be honest !

I know you said accommodation was available but tbh most people would want to go home at the end of the day, if I was expected to live-in I'd expect more pay.

Also €100 a week would mean I'd be spending more than half my wages on petrol a week ! :pac:

No thank you !

Make it around the €300 mark and I'd expect people might be more interested :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

In familiar with paying someone to look after my kids and for four days a week, eight hours a day we pay €250, plus kid related expenses, plus meals.

Our childminder is fully trained & accredited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

I expect you're not familiar with this area.

What an unbelievably condescending remark.

I'd be surprised if you got any replies to your ad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Can we please keep this conversation civil please? No insults or references to a poster's personal life are necessary

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I appreciate its not for everyone and also depends on which way you look at it. When I was a student I did work experience to gain experience in the field I was looking to get into so really its for someone who wants come childcare experience. I work from home so I wouldn't be leaving them with full responsibility. What I've quoted is the going rate for au pairs. I expect you're not familiar with this area.

Are you sure?
    Whichever selection method a family decides to use, expect to pay the au pair €80-€120 a week for about 25 hours of childcare and light housework per week. If you require more hours, you will need to pay more, up to 200 for 40 hours a week.
    From the Irish Independent

The article also states that Au Pairs are entitled to the minimum wage, plus holiday pay and other benefits. You're expecting a huge amount for a tiny (and illegal) wage. I certainly wouldn't agree to do it, food and accomodation or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I have always found the whole Au Pair thing really bizarre. Once went on a date with an English girl who was a live in Au pair for a family in the sticks. She was getting paid peanuts but had no issue with it. Sure why would anyone bother with a creche when you could have live in help for €100 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

I love kids and am quite good with them. Im also good at housework and have no problem with the pay or arrangements. But unfortunately im am not a female which disqualifies me from this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

I have always found the whole Au Pair thing really bizarre.

The first time someone explained it to me I found it very strange too.
    A few of my friends have done it and based on their stories I'd suggest that nobody should even consider becoming an au pair.

Now I'm not insinuating that the same could happen here, but I do think that paying someone 100 euro a week for 40+ hours of work is an insult.

Maybe this thread should be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I thought you had to pay for advertising.

Advertising a position for females only is illegal in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

THREAD NOW CLOSED BECAUSE NO GOOD WILL COME FROM IT AND IT'S ANNOYING THE BEJAYZUS AND SOLANGE OUT OF ME

THIS IS THE WORD OF MOD

leostrutoriginal.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement