Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of laptop repairs

Options
  • 18-05-2014 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

My laptop has recently developed a problem with it's fan and it is starting to overheat.
    I would like to get it repaired but have been quoted a price of €120.
    I had priced the cost of a new fan at €20 but I was told that it was the labour costs which accounted for the sise of the quote.
    Has anybody who has recently used a PC repair service any thought on whether this is a competitive or excessive quote.
    I am erring towards it being quite excessive.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Is it just the fan or the entire thermal assembly (fan, heat sink, heat pipe, spreaders, thermal interface material)?

If it's just a matter of popping it open and replacing the fan then it's something you can do yourself usually, depending on the model. About an hours work say.

If the entire thermal assembly has to be replaced that can sometimes mean quite a bit of work. You may have to remove the motherboard to get access to some screws and there will be a lot of screws! Let say three or four hours.

So how much do you value someone doing it for you vs doing it yourself?

What model laptop is it? Dell and the like are usually pretty good at providing disassembly instructions on their websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pcasso

5uspect wrote: »
    Is it just the fan or the entire thermal assembly (fan, heat sink, heat pipe, spreaders, thermal interface material)?

If it's just a matter of popping it open and replacing the fan then it's something you can do yourself usually, depending on the model. About an hours work say.

If the entire thermal assembly has to be replaced that can sometimes mean quite a bit of work. You may have to remove the motherboard to get access to some screws and there will be a lot of screws! Let say three or four hours.

So how much do you value someone doing it for you vs doing it yourself?

What model laptop is it? Dell and the like are usually pretty good at providing disassembly instructions on their websites.

Thanks for the reply.
    I wouldn't know where to start but I have a mate who is pretty good with these things.
    I am unsure the extent of the problems with the fan and therin lies my concerns re price.
    I feel €120 is quite pricey for just replacing the fan .If there are further issues as you outlined, that could cause further expense then It might just be easier to look at getting a new laptop though the current one is only two years old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

I take it the fan has been cleaned of dust and all that?

What model is it?

No Pants wrote: »
    I take it the fan has been cleaned of dust and all that?
    Yes

5uspect wrote: »
    What model is it?
    Lenovo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The cost is the labour involved.

How much labour depends on the laptop. With practise mine takes about 40~50 mins to do that job. Then you have to add associated costs of running a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

€120 isn't entirely unreasonable. As pointed out this could be 50 mins - 1.5 hours of work depending on the laptop .

You said you've seen the part for 20 euro online, does that include tax and shipping? The repair shop are probably paying more if they've to buy from mainstream vendors.

If you want to get a friend to do it, by all means do, but if they make a balls of it, if they snap pastics, break screwmounts, damage keyboards, connectors, forget to plug back in the fan (I've seen this a lot in botched laptop repairs), what recourse do you have?

Shop around, you may get it cheaper, you may not. Does the repair shop you're using have a good reputation, do they give a guarantee with their repairs and parts? Is it somewhere you wouldn't be surprised if it disappeared in a month.

If you can do it yourself, you can save 100 euro, if not bring it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Also, Lenovo is a brand of laptop, not a model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

If you type the model of your laptop and "fan replacement" into youtube you are nearly guaranteed that somebody has done a live demo of how to do it

pcasso wrote: »
    Lenovo

A Lenovo what?

Lenova G570

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

See page 41
    http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/Lenovo%20G470G475G570G575%20Hardware%20Mainenance%20Manual.pdf#page45

Easy DIY job, just need care applying new thermal compound.
    Maplin should have some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

That's a simple enough fan replacement, 15-30 mins max replacement and 1 hour stress testing. Fan is approx 30 from ebay, €120 is a bit much for that. €80-90 would be a more realistic price (that would included guarantee)

Thanks for all the replies/advice.
    I wouldn't have the confidence to do it myself but I might shop around to see if I can get a more reasonable price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Celeron Media

€120 is day light robbery. I price checked a new fan with shipping for €15 for your model and It's extremely easy to replace a fan. But are you sure it's the fan? Is the fan regularly spinning and blowing out air through the vent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

My daughter has a problem with her laptop.

Can anyone recommend a place to get it repaired in the central Dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

dixiefly wrote: »
    My daughter has a problem with her laptop.

Can anyone recommend a place to get it repaired in the central Dublin area?

I've always found IntoIT brilliant, reliable and they don't overprice. They're on Westland Row, 01 6789856. They're open from 8am so it's handy to bring in before work.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,032 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    €120 isn't entirely unreasonable. As pointed out this could be 50 mins - 1.5 hours of work depending on the laptop .

You said you've seen the part for 20 euro online, does that include tax and shipping? The repair shop are probably paying more if they've to buy from mainstream vendors.

If you want to get a friend to do it, by all means do, but if they make a balls of it, if they snap pastics, break screwmounts, damage keyboards, connectors, forget to plug back in the fan (I've seen this a lot in botched laptop repairs), what recourse do you have?

Shop around, you may get it cheaper, you may not. Does the repair shop you're using have a good reputation, do they give a guarantee with their repairs and parts? Is it somewhere you wouldn't be surprised if it disappeared in a month.

If you can do it yourself, you can save 100 euro, if not bring it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Also, Lenovo is a brand of laptop, not a model.

This.

It always costs more for professional repair, but as a licensed business they are also subject to laws and that is beneficial to the consumer. Same for about any service really. If they muck up the repair they absorb the cost either through direct loss or their own insurance.

There's also the fact that they're professionals, and not just a friend with an above average interest on hardware that might be able to google the solution but hasn't really done this before.

Advertisement