Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on buyng a new phone

Options
  • 18-05-2014 3:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

HI folks i'm looking to buy a Samsung s4 but don't want the 16gb version as you're only left with 8.5/9gb due to the preinstalled apps .witch is kind of useless i think .

im using the iphone at the moment and am getting really bored with it,as i dont

know much about android phones, i was wondering if anyone could tell me if

this is worth buying as its a 32 gb s4 and if so would it work here in ireland ?

would really apreciate any help thanks . please see link below .

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201067258998&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You could buy the 16Gb S4 and add a 16Gb memory card. Same difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Customs will catch you on that eBay S4.

You could buy a 32GB nexus 5 for €399, every bit as good as the S4, no bloat
    https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_5_32_GB_Black?id=nexus_5_black_32gb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Try Amazon. They have all android phones. If a camera isn't that important. Get a moto g. I had a s4 and my brother had a moto g. And the moto g is pretty amazing other than the camera. But even on the s4 the color seemed over saturated at the times.

Moto g is amazing for its price. There is the nexus etc. But they aren't that impressive compared to the moto g for the price difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

hfallada wrote: »
    Try Amazon. They have all android phones. If a camera isn't that important. Get a moto g. I had a s4 and my brother had a moto g. And the moto g is pretty amazing other than the camera. But even on the s4 the color seemed over saturated at the times.

Moto g is amazing for its price. There is the nexus etc. But they aren't that impressive compared to the moto g for the price difference.

Let's not be mistaken, the Moto G is a good affordable option, but it is a budget phone and really shouldn't be compared to a flagship nexus 5 or S4. There are a few posts in the Moto G thread where people were advised get the Moto G and were disappointed as they expected a high end phone with high end features

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    You could buy the 16Gb S4 and add a 16Gb memory card. Same difference.

Hi tom cheers for you're reply .
    unfortunately its not the same because you cant transfer apps over onto the
    external sd card, so your limited to the amount of apps you can install. and
    the some apps can be anything up to 2gb. so as you can imaging 9gb of space
    left on the Samsung s4 after Samsung pinched 7gb is really worthless .
    I also believe the s5 has less again coming in with a crappy 8.5gb .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Hi tom cheers for you're reply .
    unfortunately its not the same because you cant transfer apps over onto the
    external sd card, so your limited to the amount of apps you can install. and
    the some apps can be anything up to 2gb. so as you can imaging 9gb of space
    left on the Samsung s4 after Samsung pinched 7gb is really worthless .
    I also believe the s5 has less again coming in with a crappy 8.5gb .

Yeah, the S5 has 8.5Gb available out of the box. I've got one and have installed a crapload of apps on it and I've got 4.63GB free. I don't have any games on it though. I know some of those can be a few hundred meg.
    Many apps by default seem to install onto the SD Card if it's available.

I've a 64GB card in mine and a lot of apps write to the extSDcard. But Google changed how the extSDcard is handled in the newer versions of Android so some apps can only write to the initial 16GB. It's a bit of trial and error at the moment I think.
    If it really bothered you, you could put on a custom ROM which wouldn't have this issue. I'm not a big fan of that messing about though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

timetogo wrote: »
    Yeah, the S5 has 8.5Gb available out of the box. I've got one and have installed a crapload of apps on it and I've got 4.63GB free. I don't have any games on it though. I know some of those can be a few hundred meg.
    Many apps by default seem to install onto the SD Card if it's available.

I've a 64GB card in mine and a lot of apps write to the extSDcard. But Google changed how the extSDcard is handled in the newer versions of Android so some apps can only write to the initial 16GB. It's a bit of trial and error at the moment I think.
    If it really bothered you, you could put on a custom ROM which wouldn't have this issue. I'm not a big fan of that messing about though.

hmmm that's interesting I'm not into the game side of it myself ,I didn't know some of the aps could go over onto the sd card , and you say you have a stack of apps on you're phone and still internal memory left ?

Advertisement