Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College giving out confidential information

Options
  • 17-05-2014 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi, Im just enquiring into this concern I have about our college

I have been told on a number of occasions that our college gives out and provides information regarding students names and their exam results GPA etc to employers and certain bodies, either by the registrars office automatically providing a table of students exam results by email or fax to the employer/professional bodies or the employer/bodies who contact the (college/registrars office) who then give them the information.

I always thought that this info would be confidential, more or less nearly anyone can access your name and exam grades. Im not sure about addresses and mobile numbers, so far I haven't heard of the registrars office giving them 2 out

Is there a way to prevent the registrars office from handing out this info which in my opinion is confidential ? Unless I gave permission for them to do so ?

I'm currently not comfortable at all with nearly anyone contacting the registrars office to access my name and exam results.

I dont want my information being provided to anyone at all unless I am asked permission first

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

I am also very interested to hear a view on this as I personally like to be in control of personal information of any aspect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Hi, Im just enquiring into this concern I have about our college

I have been told on a number of occasions that our college gives out and provides information regarding students names and their exam results GPA etc to employers and certain bodies, either by the registrars office automatically providing a table of students exam results by email or fax to the employer/professional bodies or the employer/bodies who contact the (college/registrars office) who then give them the information.

I always thought that this info would be confidential, more or less nearly anyone can access your name and exam grades. Im not sure about addresses and mobile numbers, so far I haven't heard of the registrars office giving them 2 out

Is there a way to prevent the registrars office from handing out this info which in my opinion is confidential ? Unless I gave permission for them to do so ?

I'm currently not comfortable at all with nearly anyone contacting the registrars office to access my name and exam results.

I dont want my information being provided to anyone at all unless I am asked permission first

You need to speak to the registrars office in regard to this. As per the above underlined part, you have only been told, you do not know what they do exactly. Make an appointment with them, ask they if they give out information, what informaiton they give out, and if there are any procedures on who they give information out to. It is the only way of knowing

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Hi Friendlyperson,

I work in the college, saw your post this morning and brought it to the attention of management within the Registrar's.

In answer to your question the following is the reply I have received from the Academic Administration and Student Affairs Manager :-
    I have checked with staff in the Registrar's Office and I confirm that no information is provided to employers or professional bodies by the Registrar's Office without first being in receipt of a signed declaration by the student. Once this is received and verified, we can provide information such as the dates when the student attended, graduation date, and the student's overall result.

Information regarding the collection of data for the Higher Education Authority is posted on our website: http://www.it-tallaght.ie/hea-student-data-collection-no

It would be useful if Friendlyperson could provide specific details about what specific information was supplied, and to whom, so that we can investigate further.

The signed declaration is fairly normal and is on things like application forms for jobs where you give a potential employer the OK to ask about your results etc. But - it's only done where you give permission.

FriendlyPerson - can you PM me any details of where this has happened and I will pass them on. Or - if you would be more comfortable talking direct to the Academic Administration and Student Affairs Manager that's no problem - PM me and I will pass on the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

macrubicon wrote: »
    Hi Friendlyperson,

I work in the college, saw your post this morning and brought it to the attention of management within the Registrar's.

In answer to your question the following is the reply I have received from the Academic Administration and Student Affairs Manager :-

The signed declaration is fairly normal and is on things like application forms for jobs where you give a potential employer the OK to ask about your results etc. But - it's only done where you give permission.

FriendlyPerson - can you PM me any details of where this has happened and I will pass them on. Or - if you would be more comfortable talking direct to the Academic Administration and Student Affairs Manager that's no problem - PM me and I will pass on the details.

I have only heard it said to me that such information is passed on in a slightly less formal manner through things such as phone calls...say if a potential employer or institute had some sort of connection and were to make contact to ask for a run down on said individual. I know Ireland is a small place so its not beyond the realms of possibility that in some aspect, in a variety of bodies across the land that this could happen, but either way it doesn't sit well with me..esp if perspectives are viewed different.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

@cryptocurrency

The Registrar's Office does not provide any information by telephone - written authorisation from the student would need to be received and then we would supply the information in writing.

Anything else is strictly against policy and again we would like to hear of any specific incidences so we can investigate.

At the moment we don't have anything concrete to follow up on only
    I have been told on a number of occasions
    and
    I have only heard it said to me
    to go on and it's very hard to prove a negative!

If you can shed any light on the course, the organisation, the person who said it to you etc. we will investigate but the College's position is that nothing is given out without the students approval.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

MOD NOTE

Friendlyperson & cryptocurrency: If you have any information of this happening, please keep it off thread and contact the college directly. There is no solid fact here and the college should not have be viewed negatively due to some hear say/rumours

Edit: I'm going to lock this thread as it is going nowhere. Thank you Macrubicon for your input

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement