Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE working privately while on career break?

Options
  • 17-05-2014 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi
    I am considering taking a career break from the HSE for family/childcare and career reasons. I know that in the career break scheme they say that you can not work for another employer while on career break.
    I am wondering if anyone has started working for themselves while on a career break and if that is legal. (As opposed to working for someone else)
    I would like to continue my private work as a therapist (not the same kind of therapist I work at in HSE job) and would like to give it enough time that I can see if it is a viable career change for me and if it will support me, but all I have been told is that 'if noone finds out you will be alright' (yes really - from HR).
    I already work part time at the private job while working part time for the HSE and that is legal, but I am not sure if working while on career break is.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭ratracer

I would have thought that if you are on a career break you are not being paid by your employer. How can you support yourself if you cannot work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

On most public service career breaks you can be self employed. You need to get a copy of the career break terms and conditions to see for yourself what you are allowed to do. It isn't good enough (or professional) for your HR to say that to you. Speak to their supervisor if you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gleeky

Thanks.

Yes the terms and conditions from what I can see say that you cannot work for another employer, but I have a vague recollection of reading something about having another income / tax issues.
    Both HR and my supervisor have said the nod/wink thing that I mentioned. Its like smoke and mirrors stuff.

I just thought that maybe being self employed may be different.

But if you were to be self employed, then u wouldn't be working for someone else?

Yes I know that, but I am asking if anyone out there has done that and not gotten into trouble re taxes etc. As I say, the HR dept said that if no one knew I was doing it then it wouldn't be much of a problem, so I am confused as to what is actually ok to do and not to do. Its hard when the crowd you work for don't give you a straight answer.
    I know on the incentivised career break it was totally illegal to work either for someone else or yourself, but that was because they were paying people during the break.
    In speaking to some people they were OK to go abroad and work, but again that is working for someone else as you say.
    Its all a bit of a muddle really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,842 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you allowed to also be self-employed while you work for them, eg to have private clients (or a totally different career) on the side?

|yes that is what I am asking. thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Are you allowed to also be self-employed while you work for them, eg to have private clients (or a totally different career) on the side?

No- and you have to sign an annual declaration to confirm this (the declaration applies to designated positions (depending on rank)- alongside a self-declaration, if someone decides to own-up.......)

Are people just guessing in relation to not being self employed on a career break, especially as the opposite would be the norm in the public service?

Edit: Is it the incentivised career break that you are taking? If so being self employed is fine.
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Benefits_Services/careerbreak/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Tigger99 wrote: »
    Are people just guessing in relation to not being self employed on a career break, especially as the opposite would be the norm in the public service?

Edit: Is it the incentivised career break that you are taking? If so being self employed is fine.

My contract allows me to be self employed, if on a career break- but not to take up paid employment from an employer.......... So- I can 100% definitely become self employed on a career break- just not take a post elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Tigger99 wrote: »

My contract allows me to be self employed, if on a career break- but not to take up paid employment from an employer.......... So- I can 100% definitely become self employed on a career break- just not take a post elsewhere.

You'd have to have a look at your contract of employment, and exactly the terms of your career break. Often you can take another job while on a career break, if you can show that the experience will be beneficial to your HSE post.

Iifc, it's ok to have another job outside your main job, so long as that job does not interfere with the main job - i.e. if you were working as a bouncer till 4am and then coming into work at 9 exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 route49

Hi all

I am in a limbo at the moment, I work in the HSE for nearly six years (permanent position), I applied for an unpaid career break last month for approximately one year thinking I would get as my department isn't front-line nor a ward based and quite well staffed for the amount of work that is there compared to other Hospitals of the same department.

In fact over the years I have worked there we have had a reduction in our services but not in staffing

My career break is more for domestic/personal reasons

At the time my Line manager said my application was sent on to the Hospital Manager, she has since said she thinks (only thinks) that the Hospital Manager wouldn't sign off on it as the following would happen.

My line manager said that If I go on a career break my post within the department will not be filled temporarily and will disappear, but If I was to resign the department can get a replacement. I'm finding this hard to believe as I have seen other departments in hospitals advertise temp. positions to cover career breaks in 2012 & 2013 and anyway would the HSE not be delighted to have someone off the payroll for a year.
    And besides a former manager was granted a 3 year career break 2 years ago and the post wasn't lost.

I have asked for written clarification that the application was turned down but my line manager is still saying she thinks she will turn it down.

Last week when I asked again she said that the form is lost and both her and the h. manager will be off for the next 2 weeks.

As I had stated on the form I would like to start the career break in December, I feel she is pressuring me to resign as she regularly calls me into her office and asks me what I am doing.

I keep saying that I will wait for clarification from the H manager which she continues to tell me that the h manager wont sign off. But yet she seems to ignore my request for it in writting.

Has anyone had a similar experience or know if anyone has got a career break in 2014.

I really need a break for a year but I don't want to be forced to reign from my post to get it.

Any advise or information would be greatly appreciated

Advertisement