Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of building a house to builders finish?

Options
  • 17-05-2014 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi :)

Despite the new building regs, we have decided to build our own house :) We are in the middle of drawing up plans. We are roughly looking at a single storey 4 bed 1550 sq ft. We are looking to build it to builders finish to include nothing only sanitary units. Is it realistic to have a budget of €130000 to complete it to builders finish? We want to borrow €160000 as we want to spend roughly €30000 on flooring, tiling, kitchen and fireplace etc. We own the site and have enough savings for all of the fees. we will also have €10000 of our savings to furnish it after that. Is this realistic? What is the general cost of building to builders finish per sq ft or sq m? We are in Wexford.

Thanks in advance.
    PS. Are we crazy taking on this project?!;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭kilclon

Not much hope I'm afraid. Be closer to 170/180. You will also have to retain your certifier for the build and direct labour seems to be a difficult option. Do you have to put in a wastewater treatment system? What are your development contributions?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Truck wrote: »
    Hi :)

Despite the new building regs, we have decided to build our own house :) We are in the middle of drawing up plans. We are roughly looking at a single storey 4 bed 1550 sq ft. We are looking to build it to builders finish to include nothing only sanitary units. Is it realistic to have a budget of €130000 to complete it to builders finish? We want to borrow €160000 as we want to spend roughly €30000 on flooring, tiling, kitchen and fireplace etc. We own the site and have enough savings for all of the fees. we will also have €10000 of our savings to furnish it after that. Is this realistic? What is the general cost of building to builders finish per sq ft or sq m? We are in Wexford.

Thanks in advance.
    PS. Are we crazy taking on this project?!;)

130k is not enough - 160k minimum imho.

No reason not to build imho can't see it ever being cheaper.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Sorry, i have to say, given that i bought a doer-upper about 6yrs ago, you'd be better off buying a house OP.
    Sell the site and put it towards the house you'll buy.
    I think you'd be mad to build a house today.

Advertisement