Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what kind of dinner is it?

Options
  • 17-05-2014 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

hi all, I am writing my invitation language and I want to give guests an idea of what to expect as we are not having a traditional sit down dinner.

the food will consist of gourmet passed appetizers - about 12-14 per person of 6 to 7 kinds of different types. There will also be lots be platters stationed around with meats/cheeses/roasted veg/dips with crackers and bread (still to be decided exactly what will be on the platters)

There will also be cake and then later on there will be additional traditional pub food passed around like fish n chips / chicken goujons / sausages etc

should I call this

a cocktail dinner
    or
    canapés

or something different?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I would simply call it 'finger food'. That way people will know to have a proper meal before coming and that they can pick at small bites over the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

finger food/buffet.
    btw, sounds it all sounds lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Sounds just delicious very best of luck. As above, finger food will be served or even light refreshments will be served followed by hot snacks later in the evening. Don't stress too much your going to have a lovely relaxed day.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

cocktails
    antipasto
    aperitifs
    dips
    relishes
    samples
    spread
    tasters
    tidbits
    canapé
    finger food
    hors d'oeuvre
    munchies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Sounds great!

But to be honest I don't think finger food is doing it justice...

I will try think of an alternative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I've had similar before called a tasting menu.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yes!

or maybe call it a small plate menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

I don't think finger food does it justice either it is a little more than this.. let me know how this goes we were half thinking of doing the same, mum was saying this is what they do is Oz that they serve a lot of nibbles constantly throughout the day and it was great.. Serve the lighter bits earlier and things like breads and heavier dishes later.

Maybe you could put Canapes for the starters, follower by a selction of taster plates. Maybe inc a little hint of what would be on them

Meze?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

If I was told tasting menu, I'd assume it was a sit down meal with 7 or 8 small dishes.

OP, I'd go for light refreshments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I'd call it a buffet meal maybe? If there's enough food for it to be considered a meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It's not a buffet.

I think finger food is most appropriate.
    Maybe tasting platters rather than tasting menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 gillylilly

Sharing platters?

Supper bites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

amdublin wrote: »
    Supper bites?

Its a pity you can't say " ah there'll be a bitta food and a cuppa tae and a feed of chips from Mario's later to soak up the beer" LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I would simply call it 'finger food'. That way people will know to have a proper meal before coming and that they can pick at small bites over the evening.

I wouldn't have a proper meal before 12-14 appetiser sized things followed by cake and fish&chips. That's a lot of food, just on smaller plates.

Sounds like a cocktail party to me OP.

"A light tasting menu will be served"

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tellmeaboutit

hi all, thank you so much for your replies... they were really helpful.

I spoke to my sister and she agreed that finger food alone might down play what we are having... and i agree with previous posters that if it were me, the food we will serve is more than enough for my dinner but each to their own

I know I probably don't even have to give details but I think on a night out its much more enjoyable when I know what to expect so want to give others the same courtesy....

so we decided to put together a little itinerary and this is what I think we are going to go with:

7pm: drinks, canape style supper & cake
    9:30pm: live music & finger food
    11:30 pm: DJ

do you think this gives a good idea of what to expect based on my OP?

thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,150 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think that sound excellent, gives people an idea of what to expect - often at a wedding guests are standing around saying to each other 'what time is the meal'?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

That sounds perfect.

I was at a wedding once that served a similar kind of menu and while it was lovely we were not expecting it and thought it would be the regular 3 course meal so we were a bit thrown. I remember thinking it would have been a good idea to have been told in advance that it would be different.

r

• Advertisement

Sounds perfect...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tellmeaboutit

Thank you !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

What kind of dinner is it?

The kind I wish they had at every wedding, it sounds 10 times nicer than the usual "rubber chicken"*.

*Generic term in the US for wedding food.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Andiewoo

What about soirée or night bite??

Advertisement