Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would we be entitled to temporary housing?

Options
  • 17-05-2014 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

Before you read, please bare in mind that I have never had to use social welfare before, so i have no idea how the system works. So I do apologize if any of this sounds naive.

At home, we do ok. My mother has a stable job, a house out in a rural area and a car, but unfortunately she broke her ankle and wont be able to do anything or drive anywhere about 8weeks. Now with this, all would be ok I would help out around the house at much as possible and help her as she gets back on her feet.

Only problem is SHE is the only one in the family who drives. Me and my other sibling still live at home but we cant drive. The only people we could rely on is my aunt and uncle, and my other sister, but they live a good bit away and also work themselves, so they might only make very odd visits.

I am just worried because where we live too isolating and so far away from town, whether you walk or cycle it can take 1-2hours.

I think it will be just hard. If we need anything from town or if there was an emergency, we will always have to call someone to help us out and they migth not be available.

That's why I wanted to ask, is is possible for us to get a temporary house in our local town, if we applied for social welfare and on one of the benefits they have? That why i explained my situation here to see if it was possible given our circumstances? Because I hear of loads of people on the dole getting free housing, so I wanted to see if it was possible for us, on a temporary basis.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Councils don't to any kind of temporary housing, except in cases of homelessness.

If you're in an emergency financial situation, contact your community welfare officer for assistance.

And think about supporting one of the other adults to learn to drive to avoid similar problems in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Another possible solution would be to temporarily adapt the car with some controls to allow your mother to drive with one leg operational ..... the level of difficulty & cost of this adaptation is dependent on which ankle is broken (left or right).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement