Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry Pi Plus Kingston 8GB SD Card problem

Options
  • 17-05-2014 4:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey all...

I got me one of them Pi boards to make a XBMC media center out of it. I have had it now 3 days and I cannot get the SD card to work!!!!!!! I had it in my SD slot on my laptop at first and it showed up, only had space of 55.9mb =`s do??? Like its a 8GB card. I have read the net a bit and its a common problem but anything I have tried that I have read has not done a thing but make it worse, now the SD card wont even show up on my computer (Win7 x64) I am lost here lads and really want to get this going I just paid for a case, wifi keyboard and I cant bloddy get the dam SD card to format or do what needs to be done to put n00bs or some other form of distro on it.

Can anyone tell me why this might be happening? Any help I will be so happy for.....

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I had an identical problem with a 32Gb card.

The solution was to use a partition manager tool like MiniTool Partition Wizard.

Can you explain the exact steps you are taking and what exact errors you are seeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Run Gparted - from LiveCD or other means - and wipe out the partition table and create a new one.

That should allow you to access the whole drive ......... unless of course you got some fake card .......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

If you use the raspbmc installer, when you run it, it has the option to re-format the card, so if it was only showing say 50 mb, it will create a new table for you, giving you the full 8gb to re-install on

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Turtlez

Thanks for the replies much appreciated.

@Tom Dunne I have the mini tool installed but that just seemed too make things worse after I used that or it could have been DISKPART the SD card vanished from the my computer screen?? I dunno what I done too be hones, I think I formatted it and was trying to make it bigger by making a new partition but still all the mini tool was showing was 55.9 mb.

@Johnboy1951 GParted was my next point of call. I def didn't get a fake card, I know this now because I fount a microsd 4gb card I had in a old phone, I put that into an adapter that wont show on my computer either so there is something prob something small I cant figure out! Il try GParted see what happens from there (Could it be a driver problem?) Like when I enter any of the two cards I hear the beep to let you know a card has been plugged in and on the taskbar it says eject card. So the cards are in the PC and it sees them but on the my computer screen nada.

@Stuxnet I have just grabbed that now and im going to try see what happens, hope it works if now im ggonna try GParted and if that does not work...im lost!!!

Thank ye all, hope ye can help me some more and anyone that knows about this stuff please chip in a bit of help
    I do need it at this stage :-) thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

@Johnboy1951 GParted was my next point of call. I def didn't get a fake card, I know this now because I fount a microsd 4gb card I had in a old phone, I put that into an adapter that wont show on my computer either so there is something prob something small I cant figure out! Il try GParted see what happens from there (Could it be a driver problem?) Like when I enter any of the two cards I hear the beep to let you know a card has been plugged in and on the taskbar it says eject card. So the cards are in the PC and it sees them but on the my computer screen nada.

I guess it could be some problem with the operating system ....... but running Gparted from LiveCD will bypass that anyway, so you should get to know exactly what is on the card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement