Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Characters may die in show before they die in books - GRRM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm starting to think that they'll do the reverse and keep people alive that died in the books.

Spoilers for the books -
    The Red Viper in particular. Given how Tywin and the Lannisters seem to have disowned the Mountain right now, I don't see how he suddenly comes back and kills Oberyn in Tyrion's trial by combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I'm starting to think that they'll do the reverse and keep people alive that died in the books.

Spoilers for the books -
    The Red Viper in particular. Given how Tywin and the Lannisters seem to have disowned the Mountain right now, I don't see how he suddenly comes back and kills Oberyn in Tyrion's trial by combat.
    Well I defo see the fight happening between the 2 seeing as it's the name of the episode, but I would love it if Oberyn survived I've become quite attached to his character
    :D

Spoilering everything, just in case :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'll probably stop watching the show until I've read the books, well at least the winds of winter

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

We've seen this happen already in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

"So essentially, those who have read the books and are ahead of the TV show can get off their smug high horses because they don't know sh*t either. So THERE. Point that out in your next book versus TV show debate down the pub."

lol, is the writer of this article jealous or bitter or something?

• Advertisement

The only characters that I can think of odd the top of my head who died in the show and not the books are Ros (who was barely mentioned in the books at all anyways, she was more of a show character) and Robb's wife (who was a totally different character altogether). Who else was there?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

ADWD spoiler.
    Jun Snuh to 'die' in episode nine?

Unlikely, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

"He"

+
    This year there's a few key plot twists and the way [the show's] writers go about it is different than the books," she said. "I think fans of the books will be a little confused, which I think is fantastic because it keeps it interesting for everyone.
    Source: EW

=
    Arya's going to give the Hound the gift of Mercy
    :O

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Will Vader still be Luke's father?!?

:eek:

I'm still managing to keep the books and TV show as deprecate entities. So far...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I'm guessing Gendry.

He set off from Dragonstone in Season 3 Episode 10, despite never having been in a boat before. Hasn't been seen or heard of since.

Poor Gendry! Probably at the bottom of the Narrow Sea. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Now...that means they are actually going to spoil the books or what :O

I think by now it's becoming an on story in the show :)

I'm guessing Gendry.

He set off from Dragonstone in Season 3 Episode 10, despite never having been in a boat before. Hasn't been seen or heard of since.

Poor Gendry! Probably at the bottom of the Narrow Sea. :(

I don't think he's dead. He will reappear at some point working in a faraway city I reckon. I assumed he was making his way as far away from Westeros as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

rawn wrote: »
    I don't think he's dead. He will reappear at some point working in a faraway city I reckon. I assumed he was making his way as far away from Westeros as possible.

In a rowboat? Davos directed him back towards KL.

Joe Dempsie that plays him said he'll be back next season.

Blay wrote: »
    In a rowboat? Davos directed him back towards KL.

Joe Dempsie that plays him said he'll be back next season.

Not all the way in a rowboat, no. But he'll dock somewhere and work his way onto a ship bound for Braavos or w/e. Now that he knows who his dad was he knows he won't be safe in KL. Glad he'll be back though. ROIDE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

The only characters that I can think of odd the top of my head who died in the show and not the books are Ros (who was barely mentioned in the books at all anyways, she was more of a show character) and Robb's wife (who was a totally different character altogether). Who else was there?
    xaro xoan doxas, irri, doreah, marillion, jihqui
    all died differently too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Seems like a total non-story tbh. As others have said, we've already plenty of minor characters killed off who are still alive in the books, and even that doesn't mean they won't play a part in the books to come (see
    Xaro Xhoan Daxos
    ).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Seems like a total non-story tbh. As others have said, we've already plenty of minor characters killed off who are still alive in the books, and even that doesn't mean they won't play a part in the books to come (see
    Xaro Xhoan Daxos
    ).

I always treated that as a comic book death...if you don't see the body they are not dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I just wish GRRM would stop acting the rock star on conan and get on with it, I mean winter has been coming a long bloody time now :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Sleepy wrote: »
    "He"

+

=
    Arya's going to give the Hound the gift of Mercy
    :O

I hope not because I like the Quiet Isle theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrBobbyZ

I hope that where they do depart from future books (if they ever get published!), that its a complete departure from books or with minor characters that dont matter as much in great sceme of things.
    I have enjoyed reading the books for years and would hate for the TV show (great as the series is, still not as good as the books) to spoil that.

Think GRRM is far more about the TV series than the books though. Not grumbling, its his story and he is entitled to do as he sees fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 dellama

OMG - did u see this?
    Tyrion s Speech Alternate Ending
    youtube.com/watch?v=sKqSsZYzhaY

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

Spoilers for the books -
    Well I defo see the fight happening between the 2 seeing as it's the name of the episode, but I would love it if Oberyn survived I've become quite attached to his character
    :D

Spoilering everything, just in case :P
    No, Oberyn definitely dies during the fight. There are clips that were released before the season started that entered the cell first person camera angle only to have Tyrion stare up and say in a distraut manner "Come to say one last goodbye?"

Obviously it's Jaime coming to rescue him but then again if Oberyn had of won and survived why would Tyrion still be locked up and why would Jaime (which we know saves him ala the clips already shown) be for?!

So, yeah....Oberyn is definitely going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

MrBobbyZ wrote: »
    I hope that where they do depart from future books (if they ever get published!), that its a complete departure from books or with minor characters that dont matter as much in great sceme of things.
    I have enjoyed reading the books for years and would hate for the TV show (great as the series is, still not as good as the books) to spoil that.

Think GRRM is far more about the TV series than the books though. Not grumbling, its his story and he is entitled to do as he sees fit.

Season 2 in Harrenhall with Tywin and Arya was much better than Wease soup in A Clash of Kings.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrBobbyZ

Season 2 in Harrenhall with Tywin and Arya was much better than Wease soup in A Clash of Kings.

Agreed.
    The point I was trying to make was I hope wee don't find out about a characters demise in the show before the book series. If it's done in a completely different way it would be preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,078 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The idea of Tywin Lannister figuring out that the person serving him drinks is highborn and lying to him and not going to any lengths to find out who she was isn't something I buy tbh. They were entertaining enough though I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Spoilers for the books -
    I don't think they will change that death.
    Oberyn dying kicks off a lot of stuff in Dorne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I don't think they will change that death.
    Oberyn dying kicks off a lot of stuff in Dorne.
    this is how I feel about the whole Quentyn Martell plot. Lots of readers complain that it was pointless introducing him just to die but I think there will be consequences for Danys and/or 'Aegon'

Not overly fussed about the show spoiling the books. I only read them after last season and still thoroughly enjoyed them despite knowing some of what happened. At this stage I just want to know the rest of the story one way or another!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I hope not because I like the Quiet Isle theory.
    I'd agree but it adds up to me and Arya's is one storyline that's already been changed significantly in the TV series...

Advertisement