Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fatalities connected with the police services

Options
  • 15-05-2014 10:50pm
    Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭

I have just being reading an article about a bill, the first of it's kind in the US was has been passed in Wisconsin.
    The legislation, which Gov. Scott Walker recently signed into law, requires that deaths in police custody be investigated by an outside agency, using independently gathered evidence. Bell and about two dozen other family members of police victims attended the private signing ceremony.

This raised some questions for me in relation to Ireland. and I would be grateful if anyone in the know could oblige me.

1. Is there information available to the public which details any deaths occured by citizens who have died either in police custody or in the course of police duty?
    2. Excuse my ignorance but is the now situation in Wisconsin something that already occurs in the Irish context?
    3. If not, is it something that the rank-and-file would support?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

I have just being reading an article about a bill, the first of it's kind in the US was has been passed in Wisconsin.

This raised some questions for me in relation to Ireland. and I would be grateful if anyone in the know could oblige me.

1. Is there information available to the public which details any deaths occured by citizens who have died either in police custody or in the course of police duty?
    2. Excuse my ignorance but is the now situation in Wisconsin something that already occurs in the Irish context?
    3. If not, is it something that the rank-and-file would support?
    Thanks in advance.

Don't know about figures but any death in custody and deaths involving interaction with the Gardaí are referred to GSOC. Think the most recent one was in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

1. it always makes the news when it happens. so searching for figures should bring some up.

2. An outside agency gsoc investigates all deaths in garda custody

3. ive no problem with the above

there would probably be one or two deaths each year. with the amount of drug users etc in custody each night, its highly likely that a small percentage could die from complications regarding their lifestyle choice.

Advertisement