Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dollars for Cambodia!

Options
  • 15-05-2014 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hello, I'm travelling to Cambodia at the end of this month and I want to pick up some US dollars. Can anybody advise me where the best place to get them? i.e. Post office, bureau de change, the bank etc...

Also does anybody know where I could get the denominations broken up as I don't think large (25, 50, 100) amounts would be useful?

Would it be better to take dollars out of an ATM there with an Irish debit card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,472 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Post Offices do them with zero commission, most will have $500 plus in stock without any need to order them in. They have them in $20, $50 and $100 denominations.

You can also withdraw dollars from an ATM machine at Dublin airport, not exactly sure where it is somewhere at departures.

Pretty sure you won't be able to withdraw any dollars in Cambodia from an ATM machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Pretty sure you won't be able to withdraw any dollars in Cambodia from an ATM machine.
    ATMs in Cambodia do dispense dollars. I was there a few months ago and got dollars no problem.

However, the ATM gave me $100 dollar bills which was a bit of a pain the the ass. I was able to spend them without too much hassle, but smaller denominations would have been preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tomselleck101

Ice Storm wrote: »
    ATMs in Cambodia do dispense dollars. I was there a few months ago and got dollars no problem.

However, the ATM gave me $100 dollar bills which was a bit of a pain the the ass. I was able to spend them without too much hassle, but smaller denominations would have been preferable.

Was the commission or charge very high? Would you have preferred to have had cash in the first place? Any idea how much dollars you would need on a day-to-day basis :P??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭eagerv

I used An Post http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Money+Matters/Foreign+Exchange

As mentioned they are commission free, however they do take a few percent on the exchange rate. They will also give all $20 notes if you wish.

Any small change in Cambodia is usually in Cambodian Riel. (4000 Riel=$1). I found it handy to keep the Riel in a separate pocket for tipping etc.

Check with your own Bank what commission they charge for withdrawing cash abroad. There are plenty of ATM in the main towns. You can also get a good Euro exchange rate at Bureau De Change, but not at airports!

Enjoy, was there just before Christmas and had a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭eagerv

Forgot to mention, beer is only $0.50 / half litre !! The dollar goes a long way !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

There's plenty of ATMs in Cambodia that dispense dollars. Annoyingly if you take out a few hundred at once it comes out in 100 dollar notes. I never had much trouble with breaking them though

Advertisement