Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

immersion heater thermostat cut out button

Options
  • 15-05-2014 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi
    I have a solid fuel rayburn unpressurized gravity system with immersion heater back up for summer use when the rayburns not in use. When the rayburns running the hot water can get very hot, enough to cause the immersion thermostat cut out button to operate, this is a real pain as I have to reset it in order to use the immersion. Is it possible to still obtain thermostats without safety cut out buttons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

rog14 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have a solid fuel rayburn unpressurized gravity system with immersion heater back up for summer use when the rayburns not in use. When the rayburns running the hot water can get very hot, enough to cause the immersion thermostat cut out button to operate, this is a real pain as I have to reset it in order to use the immersion. Is it possible to still obtain thermostats without safety cut out buttons?

It is possible to get normal stats but if you replace the stat with another type your changing manufacturers parts with lesser and if worse comes to worse your completely on your own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭spireland32

Yes. Make sure you get the right/same length stay and isolate the immersion before changing.

(With new laws a registered electrical contractor should be carrying out the work!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rog14

Thanks for the info
    Rog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

You have a dual stat immersion, there is nothing you can do about this op. This happens alot where solid fuel is heating cylinder like in your place. Im not sure what the advice of getting normal stat is about and information about only a registered electrician is incorrect.

Incorrect information ^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

I thought only registered people were allowed near the fuse board

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

anthonyos wrote: »
    I thought only registered people were allowed near the fuse board

Reg people are only allowed at fuseboard or run a new line but anyone can work on immersion heater

Incorrect information ^

What is incorrect?

What is incorrect?

If you don't know I can't help you I'm afraid

If you don't know I can't help you I'm afraid

I do know and you are the one giving incorrect information, the stats that are in an immersion can be only changed like for like. There is no other stat that can be put into that immersion to come around this problem. Also a competent person can do work on the immersion element.

• Advertisement

I do know and you are the one giving incorrect information, the stats that are in an immersion can be only changed like for like. There is no other stat that can be put into that immersion to come around this problem. Also a competent person can do work on the immersion element.

Ok your "right". You "cannot" get a non re settable immersion stat. The the one I got and installed last week and another I got for van stock was my eyes playing tricks and was indeed a resettable stat.

Thanks for clearing that up for me

OP do you have a blending valve fitted to prevent scalding?

Ok your "right". You "cannot" get a non re settable immersion stat. The the one I got and installed last week and another I got for van stock was my eyes playing tricks and was indeed a resettable stat.

Thanks for clearing that up for me

You are not reading my posts at all, the stat in the immersion by the op that is tripping out is the high limit one, replacing this like for like wont solve the problem, the only way of the tripping stopping is to not use the solid fuel any more.
    The reason the dual stat immersion was brought in was due to the fatality of a infant in the uk.

http://www.wras.co.uk/PDF_Files/Scalding%20information%20note%20Jan%2008.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 48 donedl1

If the solid fuel is tripping the immersion safety cut out then there is already a risk of scalding. The safest solution is to have a cylinder stat calling on the pump to dissipate the heat from the cylinder.

donedl1 wrote: »
    If the solid fuel is tripping the immersion safety cut out then there is already a risk of scalding. The safest solution is to have a cylinder stat calling on the pump to dissipate the heat from the cylinder.

From my own experience there's not much interested in the risk of scolding as there is little belief in the risk.

The idea of removing a safety device to bypass the issues caused by a bad installation by rights is not a good move as over heat stats serve a important perpose.

OP I would look at dumping the heat as mentioned and fitting a blending valve as further protection, a good plumber would deal with this for you.

gary71 wrote: »
    The idea of removing a safety device to bypass the issues caused by a bad installation by rights is not a good move as over heat stats serve a important perpose.

Why do you think the ops installation is bad? I often see this happening in properly plumbed solid fuel systems.

Why do you think the ops installation is bad? I often see this happening in properly plumbed solid fuel systems.

I think any installation that has the potential to damage the persons using it, to be bad.

I haven't seen the OPs installation and I don't fit stoves so it's a leap of faith on my part(assuming ;))that it's a naughty installation but if the stove is tripping the overheat on the stat then the temperture within the cylinder is higher than I would want it to be in my house.

I get to see lot and lots of unvented cylinder installations and commonly with solar (but i'v seen it with stoves:eek:) the householders when asked will admit to having extremely hot water at the tap at different times of the year.

I find at times it's quite difficult to sell the idea to home owners that it's not really the safest thing having uncontrollable temperatures at a hot tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,743 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I think any installation that has the potential to damage the persons using it, to be bad.

I haven't seen the OPs installation and I don't fit stoves so it's a leap of faith on my part(assuming ;))that it's a naughty installation but if the stove is tripping the overheat on the stat then the temperture within the cylinder is higher than I would want it to be in my house.

I get to see lot and lots of unvented cylinder installations and commonly with solar (but i'v seen it with stoves:eek:) the householders when asked will admit to having extremely hot water at the tap at different times of the year.

I find at times it's quite difficult to sell the idea to home owners that it's not really the safest thing having uncontrollable temperatures at a hot tap.

And even when you say to some that the water would scald your child, they'll say" ah shur the kids are never at the taps "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭richieburke01

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    And even when you say to some that the water would scald your child, they'll say" ah shur the kids are never at the taps "

Pipe stat on return so pump kicks in before you get to that point

Pipe stat on return so pump kicks in before you get to that point

And if the stat fails or someone messes with it?

You can't rule out all potential safety issues with installations but I think installers should do as much as is practical.

So what is the safest stove installation when heating hot water?

I don't fit stoves and I'm not a plumber, but if it were my home I'd like a blending valve and a heat dump of some description.

Personally I don't like uncontrollable heat sources but that's possibly due to my lack of installation experience.

• Advertisement

And if the stat fails or someone messes with it?

You can't rule out all potential safety issues with installations but I think installers should do as much as is practical.

So what is the safest stove installation when heating hot water?

I don't fit stoves and I'm not a plumber, but if it were my home I'd like a blending valve and a heat dump of some description.

Personally I don't like uncontrollable heat sources but that's possibly due to my lack of installation experience.

In my own house have the upstairs circuit as heat dump as well as cylinder
    But cylinder has a TCV valve(thermostatic cylinder valve)

Blending valves on open vented system can drop pressure to outlets

Blending valves on open vented system can drop pressure to outlets

I'm told you can get blending valves that work on gravity hot water but being told something is always different to actually knowing something, pressurised hot water is my ting.

But if a blending valve could be fitted it adds another level of protection which is a beautiful thing.

I'm told you can get blending valves that work on gravity hot water but being told something is always different to actually knowing something, pressurised hot water is my ting.

But if a blending valve could be fitted it adds another level of protection which is a beautiful thing.

You are correct Gary but I had issues with both
    I would size up to the next size E.G. 3/4" to 1" valve it sorts out any issues I had

Advertisement