Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can processor make up for slow broadband?

Options
  • 15-05-2014 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭

My broadband varies between 1-2.5MB download depending on the time of day. It's poor in the evening just when you'd like to steam a movie. I'm getting a new laptop at the moment so the question is, can a faster processor help to get over this? Any point getting greater than 4mb ram?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

No, and No, re the broadband speeds. Get > 4GB if you have 64bit OS and run memory-intensive software

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

• Registered Users Posts: 82,031 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

technically some process like to hype and market that they are better at handling internet packets and all that, but at the end of the day the biggest obstacle is the provided bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

Overheal wrote: »
    technically some process like to hype and market that they are better at handling internet packets and all that, but at the end of the day the biggest obstacle is the provided bandwidth.

Depends how old his pc is......if he running a over from 2000, an upgrade my help a bit, with the point of taking in 1mb if it's pc only processes 2/3 of it?

Process general won't help, but if your like 20 years old it may help.

Well like AMD has SteadyStream in their CPU, which is basically meant to just give a higher queue priority to processing viddeo-streaming packets that come in from the ISP over say, download or other data packets. It doesn't make those packets arrive any faster, it just means that when they hit the system they're slightly less likely to be impeded by the system trying to process a packet for a background process. Probably negligible difference in performance however, in most use cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Overheal wrote: »
    Well like AMD has SteadyStream in their CPU, which is basically meant to just give a higher queue priority to processing viddeo-streaming packets that come in from the ISP over say, download or other data packets. It doesn't make those packets arrive any faster, it just means that when they hit the system they're slightly less likely to be impeded by the system trying to process a packet for a background process. Probably negligible difference in performance however, in most use cases.

I'd say it makes as much of a difference as all this extra RAM I downloaded. :pac:

I'd say it makes as much of a difference as all this extra RAM I downloaded. :pac:

Pretty much. The actual difference would be measured in a handful of processor ticks at best I'm guessing, and only ever prove useful if something else was taking a while to process (eg. Uncompressing a zip folder)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I have a good connection, but on a older laptop with slow cpu and basic graphics it can't playback 1080 streams. Another laptop with a slightly fast cpu but with old but decent graphics has no problem with 1080.

But if you have a bad connection it would make no difference.

Advertisement