Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Assembling Road Bike

Options
  • 15-05-2014 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I am looking for advice about assembling a road bike, bits of which I have purchased from various websites over the last year or so. It consists of a Ribble carbon frame, Campagnolo Chorus 11 groupset, Ritchey WCS finishing kit and various other bits and bobs.

I want to assemble this bike over the next few weeks as I'm sick of looking at boxes and want to get the thing out on the road. Thing is I am a bit of a novice when it comes to practicality of assembling same, and I'd be wary of setting up gears, bottom bracket, headset amongst other things. While I have a general toolkit, I don't have the Campagnolo specific tools needed for some assembly. Are there any bike shops that would assemble a road bike for me? Is there anyone out there that would be willing to give me a hand to put the bike together, and how much would someone be willing to do it for....

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

where are you based - i've put bikes together would only not put a headset into carbon i's get someone with a press for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Any bike shop should do that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 scooby.irl

nak wrote: »
    Any bike shop should do that for you.

cheers, you reckon? Any recommendation in Dublin 7 area or there abouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

A bike shop will charge EUR80 to EUR100 to build up the bike for you but there's tremendous satisfaction to be had in building it yourself. As edwinireland said, get an lbs to fit the headset and to face the bottom bracket shell. After that, it's all just bolting stuff together. If your fork has a carbon steerer, you'll want a torque wrench. Actually, you'll want a torque wrench anywhere carbon is being clamped. Dunno if you can clamp a seatpost by feel.

Take your time over it. Read up on each element of the process, watch videos and ask here for advice.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    A bike shop will charge EUR80 to EUR100 to build up the bike for you but there's tremendous satisfaction to be had in building it yourself. As edwinireland said, get an lbs to fit the headset and to face the bottom bracket shell. After that, it's all just bolting stuff together. If your fork has a carbon steerer, you'll want a torque wrench. Actually, you'll want a torque wrench anywhere carbon is being clamped. Dunno if you can clamp a seatpost by feel.

Take your time over it. Read up on each element of the process, watch videos and ask here for advice.

Thanks for that cdaly, much obliged. Would you have a recommendation for a shop to put it together for me? While I would not mind putting a bike together, well I would prefer to get help from someone who knows what they are at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

City Cycles on Blackhall Place. Just the end of manor street across from the Law Society, Dublin 7

City Cycles on Blackhall Place. Just the end of manor street across from the Law Society, Dublin 7

Thanks for that. I know the place alright, closest bike shop to me too - based in Stoneybatter...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dumac

Good one.

dumac wrote: »
    Good one.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dumac

As a bike shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

You could alternatively do something like this,

http://www.bikemaintenance.ie/index.php/road

bring your bike to the course and learn how to assemble it. You pay but you'll know how to do most of your own maintenance afterwards saving in the long run. I can't recommend this one in particular as I haven't been to it but it's something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭froshtyv

Before you start any of the building, a good range of tools is a must.

Im in the middle of my first road bike build, but I have done several mountain bikes, cars etc...

I would youtube any assembly part you arent 100% about and go from there.

As someone said already better satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Thanks Daroxtar
    That is something worth considering, definitely.
    Cheers

froshtyv wrote: »
    Before you start any of the building, a good range of tools is a must.

Im in the middle of my first road bike build, but I have done several mountain bikes, cars etc...

I would youtube any assembly part you arent 100% about and go from there.

As someone said already better satisfaction of doing it yourself.

I would like to try it myself but I'd be a bit afraid that it would result in a costly mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭froshtyv

scooby.irl wrote: »
    I would like to try it myself but I'd be a bit afraid that it would result in a costly mistake.

There isnt much too them.

Cutting the steerer tube and installing the headset can be a bit daunting.

The rest of it is pretty much bolt on.

It would depend if your frame has been faced for the bottom bracket and heat set.

froshtyv wrote: »
    There isnt much too them.

Cutting the steerer tube and installing the headset can be a bit daunting.

The rest of it is pretty much bolt on.

It would depend if your frame has been faced for the bottom bracket and heat set.

I. Don't. Know. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

3 weeks on now. You should probably just bring it to a bike shop. You can build up your skills and confidence for building the next one by doing the maintaince work with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paulgs

Take it to a good bike shop and get them to fit the headset and bottom bracket, fit all the other components your self and take it to a shop again to get the gears and brakes adjusted. The gears can be tricky and you could end up with your rear wheel eating your rear mech if you don't set it up right.

paulgs wrote: »
    Take it to a good bike shop and get them to fit the headset and bottom bracket, fit all the other components your self and take it to a shop again to get the gears and brakes adjusted. The gears can be tricky and you could end up with your rear wheel eating your rear mech if you don't set it up right.

cheers for that. Plan to get it sorted very shortly. Funds currently low though :(

Advertisement