Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evening Invitation - what time to put on invites?

Options
  • 15-05-2014 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Im a bit clueless to be honest.
    According to our hotel wedding organiser, the music will be setting up from 8 o clock and we're aiming to have the first dance at around 9ish....
    So wondering what time should I put on the evening invites???

(it's probably really obvious - but honestly, I'm second guessing myself at this stage - August is coming hard and fast)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Put 8pm.

People will show up around 8:30, and have a bit of time to spend chatting, drinking etc before the first dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

I'd put 9pm or 9.30pm! Chances are things will run over and you don't want people arriving in while the speeches are going on. You want them to arrive to a party! Maybe say 9pm and hope for 9.30pm? I've never really gone into an afters til about 10pm as like that, you don't want to be coming in and feeling awkward/ too keen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭saucyleopard

I would go with 9pm as well. Weddings always run over and the band never get to set up on time. You don't want your evening guests arriving before the meal is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

kkcatlou wrote: »
    I'd put 9pm or 9.30pm! Chances are things will run over and you don't want people arriving in while the speeches are going on. You want them to arrive to a party! Maybe say 9pm and hope for 9.30pm? I've never really gone into an afters til about 10pm as like that, you don't want to be coming in and feeling awkward/ too keen!!

yeah I was a bit early for one before and would never do that again! Food and speeches were over, would just have preferred to arrive to a party myself!

Great thread idea actually, we're wondering ourselves what to put down

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

our meal was due to finish at 8 and didn't finish until 9 so I think 9 just to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

We had our first dance at 9, but that's because the meal was moved up because the hotel told us guests were starving. We were glad it got moved up as we then enjoyed the band for longer.

Most weddings I've been to, it's not til 9.30 or 10 that the band is set-up and ready to go and the dinner tables are cleared and moved off the dance floor. Was invited to afters this weekend and they said to come around 10. I'll update on how that went. I think anything before 9 is definitely very very unlikely as most events start and finish later than planned, including wedding ceremony and wedding dinners...

Advertisement