Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batteries - 18650,18350 etc.

Options
  • 15-05-2014 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Just looking for some information on batteries.
    I have a Vamo v5 on the way to me, will be getting a couple spare batteries for it. (And possibly a new charger, if the one I'm getting with the Vamo doesnt charge 18650's)

Have heard e-fest ones are good?
    Whats the difference with protected ones and unprotected?
    And the difference (besides physical appearance) with nipple top and flat top batteries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Karl_c

The efests are fine. You don't need to use protected batteries as the vamo has its own protection. I'm not sure protected batteries would even work in it.

Efests although not a protected battery are safe as their individual cells are protected individually.

The widely available nitecore i4 intellicharger is inexpensive and quick. You can charge up to four batteries in it. If using it to charge AA or AAA batteries you must charge two at a time in slots 1,3 or 2,4 but for efests etc (ecig batteries) you can charge a single battery. Charging more than 2 batteries halves the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

Karl is correct, protected batteries won't work as they conflict with the protection board in the Vamo.

You don't have to buy dear IMR batteries for it, I've got 2 set of Ultrafire 18350's and they work perfectly.
    To get the full range of wattage from the Vamo up will need to stack 2 18350s, a single 18650 will only give you 12 watts even though the display board will show 15 watts.

When stacking 2 18350's those batteries must be ''married''.This means they must always be used together,charged together and not used apart from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Smacs89

Karl_c wrote: »
    The efests are fine. You don't need to use protected batteries as the vamo has its own protection. I'm not sure protected batteries would even work in it.

Efests although not a protected battery are safe as their individual cells are protected individually.

The widely available nitecore i4 intellicharger is inexpensive and quick. You can charge up to four batteries in it. If using it to charge AA or AAA batteries you must charge two at a time in slots 1,3 or 2,4 but for efests etc (ecig batteries) you can charge a single battery. Charging more than 2 batteries halves the speed.

where can that nitecore i4 intellicharger be got? And what price range is it?
    So if I was looking to get efest batteries for the Vamo, should i be looking for protected ones or unprotected? Or does it matter?

When stacking 2 18350's those batteries must be ''married''.This means they must always be used together,charged together and not used apart from each other.

What would happen if they weren't charged together after being stacked?

They would blow up and you would die .(only joking)

It's all about keeping them balanced so they both put out the same voltage all the time.

If one is used more than the other then more power is drawn from the fresher battery.It's all just about safety.

Better safe than sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Karl_c

The charger is about 20€ and available from probably thebestshop and esmokeireland and bargainvapour etc...

Personally I'd keep away from trustfire batteries but as the vamo has protection.. Also, Efests are affordable.

As stated stacking two 18350s (in the vamo) is a good idea to maximise output. Treating them as stated above will be safer and increase their lifespan.

Do not stack in a mechanical mod as you'll double the voltage output (unless that's your thing!)

can this charger charge both 18650 and 18350? and also can they charge any brand of battery?

I will have 2 18350's with the vamo kit, would ye recommend to just stick with getting 2 more 18350's or 1 18650 or both? or different setup?

Yes, it will charge both those sizes and 18500 also.

It depends on whether you want to use it in long or short mode.The Vamo will also work with a single 18350 battery which you might find easier if you are using it out and about.Just make sure to number your batteries if you get more of the same type.

Just make sure to number your batteries if you get more of the same type.

literally stick a sticker on them with numbers? That wouldn't cause any problems with heat while theyre being used or charging would it?

I just number mine with a black permanent marker.

If you intend to carry spare batteries with you ALWAYS use a battery case,they can vent in your pocket if they short against keys,coins ect.

• Advertisement

Perfect, thanks very much.

Whats the difference with flat top and nipple top batteries then?

Not much really.
    The only problem you might have is if you were using a mod that didn't have an adjustable pin some button top batteries might be too long.

If you have flat batteries that are too short you can use a magnet to make up the height difference but none of that will affect you with the Vamo.

so either of them would be fine with the vamo?
    Which would you recommend?

Advertisement