Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenician Looking to Play in Dublin

Options
  • 15-05-2014 4:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Everyone,
    I'm new to the forum but have been told this is the place to get some advice and/or potentially a playing partner for a round of Golf while in Ireland.

I'll be visiting Dublin at the end of the month and have some time set aside on May 25th, 26th to swing some sticks. I will be staying on the South Side of Dublin but am willing to take a cab, transit or whatever makes sense to play some good golf.

I've been reading about the courses in Dublin but would love to hear some suggestions and more importantly if any member is looking for a companion for the day. I can promise good conversation and an average golf game :). Actually, I shouldn't promise anything with regard to my golf game.

In return, I can also be a resource for anyone planning a trip to the States and specifically Arizona which has some of the best desert golf in the world.......not to mention that big hole in the ground.

I look forward to connecting.

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Welcome to Ireland.

I'm sure many of our Dublin based guys will be along shortly to advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Welcome Az,

You won't be short of choices on your visit. To help narrow it down, are you interested in parkland or links?

Also, how is your budget?

If it isn't a problem, then it opens up the opportunity to play a lot of the premium courses, however, it may limit the availability of playing partners on here :(:)

As a starting point, I would suggest the following 2:
    This is based on the chances of getting someone on here to join you and an average budget.
    It will still result in 2 very fine days of golf. I'm throwing up one of each course type for a start.

Portmarnock Hotel & Links: a lovely links course that will set you back ~€50 max.

Palmerstown House: Another great course that will only set you back ~ €40.

Both would result in 2 very enjoyable days golfing.

Your biggest problem will be narrowing it down to 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi,
    Play the best 2 Links courses in Dublin, The Island and Portmarnock both expensive but worth it maybe a problem getting any Irish man to fork out over €100 for a round though.
    Druids Glen would one of the best parklands close to south Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 azgolfer

Thanks for the reply!

Budget is a concern. I'm hoping to play either two days for ~€ 100 combined or one terrific track for one day. I'll be renting clubs so I need to consider that as well.

I've read about both Portmarnock and the Island but it looks to be very expensive unless you can play as a member guest (hence the post). Also, when I checked, it didn't look like I would easily be able to get a ttime (on the website). Any advice on the best way to secure a ttime?

Also, I would prefer links as I can't get anything near that here in Arizona but anything would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Best bet then would probably to go for corballis for one outing as it's a quirky little links & it'll only cost around ~€20 & that would leave you with a few extra quid to treat yourself for your second outing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

You can play Portmarnock links on the Sunday for 45 but there is only one tee time left, there is a member Golfgraffix on here who might help you out.

One the Monday Carton House (Monty) you can play for 39 euro, Inland links style and host of the Irish Open.

Two top tracks for under a hundred.

Transport to Portmarnock is easy just hop on the Dart and order a taxi or walk to course, will cost about 6 euro for the taxi.

Carton house you'd need a lift out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Best bet then would probably to go for corballis for one outing as it's a quirky little links & it'll only cost around ~€20 & that would leave you with a few extra quid to treat yourself for your second outing

Pretty expensive to get to from city centre, no?

And for quirky, maybe dangerous would apply, isn't that the one with lots of blind shots, and balls coming at you from all angles?

Another option might be the castle, it's not links, but is close to the Luas and is a nice parkland course.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

And for quirky, maybe dangerous would apply, isn't that the one with lots of blind shots, and balls coming at you from all angles?

Another option might be the castle, it's not links, but is close to the Luas and is a nice parkland course.

Train to Donabate and walk is cheap, maybe order a taxi from station it's a mile or so down the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi,
    Best option maybe McGuirks to rent clubs they have top of the range sets for €35 PW or check with the courses you pick to make sure they have decent sets.
    Portmarnock Links if you are looking for value for money better spend it there than Corballis even though Corballis is fairly good.
    Maybe St. Annes for a second links at decent value close to the city. Not sure what the green fee is in Royal Dublin but i guess it is over €100. Not sure about Sundays either lots of members clubs are pretty much closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

If staying in south Dublin are there any links courses that would be cheap to get to?

• Advertisement

Wow, thanks for the quick feedback and great discussion!

It's sounding like the Portmarnock Links is a must. However, when I look at their site I only see tee times for Monday and at a €60 rate.

I also looked at Druids Glen which looks fantastic. So I would like to edit my previous comment and say that I would love to play links one day and parkland another......as drool drips down my mouth.

Is there another way I should be checking times and prices? In the states we use Golfnow.com which posts discounts. Also, what is the likelihood of getting on any of these courses if I just show up that day without a tee time?

@John Divney, thanks for the lead on Golfgraffix, maybe he is up for a round.

Again, if anyone is up for a round I would love to play with some locals. A pint is on me to entice the deal. And notice, I said "A" pint :).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It may be a complete non runner for you, but are you restricted to Dublin?

If you head to the west coast there are some fantastic links courses. It may be worth sacraficing a round on a course in Dublin to rent a car and travel west for one great round there (and see a beautiful part of the country!).

Just a thought.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    It may be a complete non runner for you, but are you restricted to Dublin?

If you head to the west coast there are some fantastic links courses. It may be worth sacraficing a round on a course in Dublin to rent a car and travel west for one great round there (and see a beautiful part of the country!).

Just a thought.

I would love too but work is going to keep me in the city. plus, my wife (who is staying home for this one) would kill me if she thought I was taking a ride into the country without her :).

So I have made my decision. On Sunday I will play Portmarnock Links and on Monday Killeen Castle. I decided to rent a car for $20 a day plus tax rather then try and figure out the train/taxi situation.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Hopefully I will run into some locals for a round at the course.

Wish me luck!

SH

• Registered Users Posts: 15,838 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Only spotted this thread now so maybe I'm a bit late to the party but the first thing that needs to be addressed
    azgolfer wrote: »
    Again, if anyone is up for a round I would love to play with some locals. A pint is on me to entice the deal. And notice, I said "A" pint :).

you are in Ireland now sunshine. we don't do "A" pint :D

Anyway, good to see you have a battle plan. I am a member in Castleknock and had planned to play 9 holes Monday evening after work so if you are playing early in Killeen Castle, Castleknock will be on your way home if you want to sneak an extra game in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Enjoy Killeen - great course.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

Two good selections there, nice mix of links and parkland.

As previously mentioned you can rent clubs from Mcguirks (large golf chain). They have a branch in leopardstown which should be convenient if staying on the south side

http://www.mcguirksgolf.com/page/club-rental-scheme/202

Also worth bringing the essentials (gloves,balls,tees,shoes) from home as they are a good bit more expensive over here

Advertisement