Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pop up races.ie

Options
  • 14-05-2014 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Any get a fbook invite to these new events. Seems to be a new crowd doing a chip timed race , limited to 200 , for a €5 . Prizes for 1st male and female. Seems to be two set up for 28th may in naas and celbridge. Anyone know who is behind this idea.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

popupraces@hotmail.com

sounds good but this ^^ worries me :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Look to be just 5km races based on facebook page
    Ok they are chip timed but surely people would just be better off with parkrun?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'd like to know if they have insurance. I doubt it.
    I don't think the events are licensed by Kildare Athletics/AAI

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Do they have to be licensed or have insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Do they have to be licensed or have insurance?

Insurance is useful if something goes wrong.

If a race has a permit, it has insurance, it will be measured accurately*, and it won't clash with championship or club run events**.

* although things can still be ****ed up on the day
    ** unless the race has been parachuted in by AAI

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

RayCun wrote: »
    Insurance is useful if something goes wrong.

If a race has a permit, it has insurance, it will be measured accurately*, and it won't clash with championship or club run events**.

* although things can still be ****ed up on the day
    ** unless the race has been parachuted in by AAI
    All u need is a garmin and a face book page and a disclaimer to organise a race

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

ultraman1 wrote: »
    All u need is a garmin and a face book page and a disclaimer to organise a race

Yep very easy, guaranteed profit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

The first was held tonite. Anyone run it, and what are the reports on how it was set up and organised

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 butter or mayo?

PVincent wrote: »
    The first was held tonite. Anyone run it, and what are the reports on how it was set up and organised

Just back from Celbridge now-was sceptical going down but I have to say it was a very well run event.
    Route was flat, very well marshalled, there were 3 pacers, the 30min one I ran with was so helpful and encouraging.
    The route was bang on 5km. I filled in a form which included a disclaimer at the start, handed my number back at the end and went off with a PB.
    One or two teething problems for them but they seem to want to get people out running judging by their tweets, fb and website posts. I'll go back anyway, good idea if it takes off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 piper

Hey guys,

I ran the race tonight and overall I found it to be very well run. I live locally and saw that there had been some advertising on facebook so I decided to tag along. To be honest, I wasn't too sure what to expect given the entrance fee was only a fiver, but I was pleasantly surprised. I would estimate that there were about 50 people running the race and there was a great atmosphere down at the start.

I ran a pb of 19.57 tonight which I am absolutely chuffed about. To be honest, I wouldn't have achieved this without the pacemaker. He kept our group going strong right to the end. They had pacemakers for 20, 25 and 30 mins so I think everyone was pretty well catered for. It was also chip timed and marshalled if that makes a difference to any of you pro runners.

I was chatting to the organiser after and he seems like a nice chap. He said it was their first race tonight and they hope to do 2 a week to start off with and see how it goes. I'll definitely try and race in any of the races that they organise in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭rom

piper wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I ran the race tonight and overall I found it to be very well run. I live locally and saw that there had been some advertising on facebook so I decided to tag along. To be honest, I wasn't too sure what to expect given the entrance fee was only a fiver, but I was pleasantly surprised. I would estimate that there were about 50 people running the race and there was a great atmosphere down at the start.

I ran a pb of 19.57 tonight which I am absolutely chuffed about. To be honest, I wouldn't have achieved this without the pacemaker. He kept our group going strong right to the end. They had pacemakers for 20, 25 and 30 mins so I think everyone was pretty well catered for. It was also chip timed and marshalled if that makes a difference to any of you pro runners.

I was chatting to the organiser after and he seems like a nice chap. He said it was their first race tonight and they hope to do 2 a week to start off with and see how it goes. I'll definitely try and race in any of the races that they organise in the area.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Talking to yourself is grand. When you answer yourself and find yourself to be a nice chap - that is when I get worried for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Hey guys,

And I came down in the last shower , which was about a minute ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Hey guys,

You joined in 2004 and that is your first post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

You joined in 2004 and that is your first post :)

Yep and butter or mayo came out of a 5 year hibernation from a 3 post burst to let us know how good it was too. :)

Must have been some event !

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭milosh

I was at a loose end last night and went. to be fair to the lads it was well run with clear km markings and it was well marshaled. it was small numbers (around 50) which probably made it easy to run. at e5 for a chip timed run they certainly didn't clear their mortgages. They also had pacers which was a nice touch. the 30 minute girl seemed to bring 7 or 8 home on time. Any more in the area on a decent night, I would go along. My only issue was I found it hard to find the start area!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

I went along to the Naas one of these last night.

I have absolutely no affiliation to the lads organising it at all but a mate of mine was heading along so I said I would join them to see what it was like.

By looking at the results on their FB there were 30 or so people doing there plus marshals etc

I'm not a fast runner by any stretch of the imagination so was happy to see there was a 30 min pacer who was a really nice girl who chatted to me the whole way around and also commented to me at the end that I should be running faster if I was able to talk back to her which I thought was a good point.

Big range from serious athletes to people just out for an evening jog with the first fella coming in at 18:xx and the last around in 40 +.

The course was bang on the 5k, nice and flat and plenty of marshals around.

The fellas organising it seem to just be runners who want to spread the word around a bit and were nice and chatty beforehand.

As with poster above, I had a slight issue finding the place as I'm not from around the area in Naas and my bloody phone died when I had Google maps open.

I'd certainly go back, good idea to be fair and well thought out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Just thought I'd give this a bump, there is an event organised by this group coming up not too far away from me in a few weeks? Anyone have anymore info on the set-up? I'm curious more than anything else Do they bring their own marshals? Are the roads closed? I'm slightly surprised by the area they chose, it is a tiny village about ten minutes outside Dundalk with no active athletics club, just seems like a strange choice of location.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

pconn062 wrote: »
    Just thought I'd give this a bump, there is an event organised by this group coming up not too far away from me in a few weeks? Anyone have anymore info on the set-up? I'm curious more than anything else Do they bring their own marshals? Are the roads closed? I'm slightly surprised by the area they chose, it is a tiny village about ten minutes outside Dundalk with no active athletics club, just seems like a strange choice of location.

Where are you seeing this? on their website? i can't see such a race.....:confused:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just a heads-up for everyone that I've banned butter or mayo? and piper for shilling their events.

• Advertisement

Where are you seeing this? on their website? i can't see such a race.....:confused:

Seen it on the Facebook. Dromiskin is the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Some people need to organise a race or 2. Gang of private eyes on here waiting to pounce on anyone with a toe out of line. The lads were idiots for promoting their own races using ancient accounts but some people need to get a grip. Im nothing to do with these races and will probably never run 1 but i wish them all the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

I did one in Naas a few weeks back and it was very well organised and I set a new PB :D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Some people need to organise a race or 2. Gang of private eyes on here waiting to pounce on anyone with a toe out of line. The lads were idiots for promoting their own races using ancient accounts but some people need to get a grip. Im nothing to do with these races and will probably never run 1 but i wish them all the best

I'm still curious about the concept and if all is above board then I wish them well too.

However, shilling is against boards.ie rules, simple as. They get the same treatment as anyone who shills on any forum.

pconn062 wrote: »
    I'm still curious about the concept and if all is above board then I wish them well too.

However, shilling is against boards.ie rules, simple as. They get the same treatment as anyone who shills on any forum.

As i said they were idiots for doing that and probably deserved to be banned. i have not been on the running section of boards for over 6 months and from what i can see its gone downhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

As i said they were idiots for doing that and probably deserved to be banned. i have not been on the running section of boards for over 6 months and from what i can see its gone downhill.

Make it longer than six months the next time. I'm sure the powers that be will strive to meet your high standards......

Make it longer than six months the next time. I'm sure the powers that be will strive to meet your high standards......
    Thats what im on about people coming in and saying nothing constructive. The guys did a bubu, using fake accounts to promote their race and they were rightly banned. As far as i can see they have something going that is very benifitial to the running community, but this place is full of snide little keyboard warriors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Thats what im on about people coming in and saying nothing constructive. The guys did a bubu, using fake accounts to promote their race and they were rightly banned. As far as i can see they have something going that is very benifitial to the running community, but this place is full of snide little keyboard warriors

Relax dude, that's precisely why I remarked on your comment. It was far from constructive. If you think the A/R forum has gone to pot give some suggestions on how you might improve it. I look forward to reading them......

In fairness, no-one said anything negative about the organisation in itself, but rather commented on the obviousness of the organisers shilling attempt.

And lets not derail this thread anymore, if you have issues with the forum and it's content you can open a thread in feedback and raise them there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭milosh

They are well run small races and to be fair they try and cater for all standards. I showed up at my 2nd won last week and they told me that because I had run one before I got a handicap that would knock 5 minutes off my finishing time giving me a chance to win the race. It gave me plenty of motivation to finish fast. I didn't win it but I ran my best time in a year. The girl that won was delighted on Facebook. I hope that they are successful enough to keep going through the summer and that I get to a couple more.

Advertisement