Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any iconic Irish-made animated characters?

Options
  • 14-05-2014 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey guys, I started to wonder today about iconic cartoon characters and I noticed that a lot of countries have characters that are very associated with their lands of origin. America have of course, Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny Popeye etc. Japan have a lot of characters ranging for Astro Boy to Goku, even France have Asterix. So this introduced an thought to me, is there any cartoon character closely associated with Ireland? A character (while not being a cartoon) that comes to mind is Dustin the Turkey, but who honestly has even thought about Dustin after his entry in Eurovision 2008. A second character that comes to mind is Mr. Tayto, but he is more of a mascot for a snack company, than a character that is closely associated with Ireland. So I ask are there any characters that are iconic to the country that are instantly recognisable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Bosco immediately pops to mind, but he's not a cartoon either, hmm :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TheDudeMcDude

Links234 wrote: »
    Bosco immediately pops to mind, but he's not a cartoon either, hmm :/

Oh yes, Bosco. Although as you said, he's not a cartoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

Any iconic Irish character in pop culture that is globally recognised that comes to mind is Father Ted. I can't think of any animated ones that would be known around the the world. There was the Don Bluth studios who done works such as An American Tale and All Dogs Go To Heaven but there were Irish-American owned. There is also Jimmy Murakami Japanese-American animation artist based in Dublin who done the "Snowman".

Interesting enough there are a few Irish reference in anime so it is not like Ireland is not interesting to people. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Interesting enough there are a few Irish reference in anime so it is not like Ireland is not interesting to people. :P

Can we divert here for a moment and list them out? I know there's Fractale and Durarara!!, and Hellsing does use Northern Ireland. Any others that you know of?

(There was also an episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles where they go to Dublin and it was hilarious, skip to a minute in)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Numina wrote: »
    Can we divert here for a moment and list them out? I know there's Fractale and Durarara!!, and Hellsing does use Northern Ireland. Any others that you know of?

(There was also an episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles where they go to Dublin and it was hilarious, skip to a minute in)

Don't forget that TMNT was also produced here.

In Mobile Suit Gundam, White Base visits Belfast. Then in ZZ Gundam the entire country gets leveled in a colony drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

I think the nearest for me is the Give Up Yer Aul Sins short film

Thanks guys. This reply is INCREDIBLY late. I am aware of Don Bluth's work and how most of it was made in Ireland. I was always an American Tail fan growing up. I am also aware of TMNT being animated here, I managed to actually see one of the animation cells. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Taajsgpm

Snowman is brilliant

Taajsgpm wrote: »
    Snowman is brilliant
    True. Such a great short, with absolutely NO dialogue. Blew my mind when I was younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Angel Knightess

In the cartoon Gargoyles, there was an episode where I think they visited Northern Ireland and there was a depiction of Cuchulainn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

In the cartoon Gargoyles, there was an episode where I think they visited Northern Ireland and there was a depiction of Cuchulainn.

I'm kinda talking about characters that were created by Irish people and are closely associated with Ireland and can be easily recognised throughout the country. Haven't checked out Gargoyles, though, but I shall some time in the future.

Morag wrote: »
    The secret of Kells.

I'm aware of Secret of Kells, but I'm talking about cartoon characters that are easily recognisable and are closely associated with Ireland. If I had to choose a character from Kells though, it would probably be Aisling. She was so cool in that film. Cartoon Saloon do awesome work, can't wait for Song of the Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

<edit - sorry - not animated ... yet .. but Cúchulainn definitely needs a cartoon / feature film>

I'm aware of Secret of Kells, but I'm talking about cartoon characters that are easily recognisable and are closely associated with Ireland.

What about this from 2000AD? Possibly based on Cúchulainn.
    225px-Slainegn.jpg

There were plenty Irish characters in 2000AD- like this character who vists the Green Dolphin in future Raheny (Dublin) in this comic...
    2000ad-prog-727-judge-joyce-steve-dillon.jpg
    (that pub closed by the way)

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

There's a show on CBBC set in Ireland where the main character is a cartoon called 'Roy' so that would be known by children in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Ah come on....what about The Lyons minstrels and Beany and Barney.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mrstrawman

Not anime related, use the Television board.

Advertisement