Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email on Android...today's challenge.

Options
  • 14-05-2014 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Many thanks to the guy in the Meteor shop....three hours of various combinations and he finally set up my Sony Xperia to send and receive my Eircom e-mails. That was yesterday.....about 25 mails came in, I even sent one out.........and all I did since then was download the latest Sony Xperia update.
    Now today, the screen says 'no mails' however many times I open the app.
    But the weird thing is that the number of mails received is showing at the top of the screen. They've arrived (I can read them on my laptop) but I can't get past the 'no mails' on the phone screen. Even the Meteor shop guy is baffled!
    I'm planning to note all my settings, then close my account and set it up again. But before I do, I thought I'd run it past you all, in the hope that someone knows what's up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

What email app are you using? Can I suggest you try the K9 Mail app. It's free in the app store.

Eircom email settings:
    incoming: webmail.eircom.net
    outgoing: mail1.eircom.net
    ports incoming: 110
    SMTP ports outgoing:25

Remember that if you use the Eircom outgoing settings above, you will only be able to send mail over an Eircom/eMobile/Meteor connections. For example, if you were on UPC and connected via WiFi, you won't be able to send email (but you can receive it).

A suggested work around is to use an alternative global email provider to send the mail. For example Gmail. This will allow you to send mail from your Eircom email account no matter what connection you use.

Based on having a Gmail account, you would use the following Outgoing mail settings:
    Username: [you full gmail address e.g. myemail@gmail.com]
    Password: [your gmail password]
    SMTP Server : smtp.gmail.com
    Port : 465
    Security type : SSL (Always)

Leave the incoming settings as per the Eircom settings.

Voila. You should be able to send and receive email without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

Thanks, I tried those eircom settings and many other combinations, to no avail.
    I should mention that I have a working g-mail setup, but that only works with my g-mail address, I was hoping to use my much -more -previously- used eircom address.
    Any thoughts?
    BTW, the weird thing is that it was up and running with eircom for a few precious hours, it seemed to disappear when I downloaded an Xperia upgrade.
    Finally, I'm not even sure if I can send eircom mails through Meteor, according to their webpage.
    I'm hanging by a thread here......(excuse the pun)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Eircom email settings:
    incoming: webmail.eircom.net
    outgoing: mail1.eircom.net
    ports incoming: 110
    SMTP ports outgoing:25

If the above isn't working try the below. My email client is IMAP only.

IMAP server
    webmail.eircom.net
    Port
    Security Type
    STARTTLS

I use the Gmail method of sending (on any network) as Javion Obedient Matchmaker says.
    More details here as I had to setup alias's to get it to appear as if from myemailaddress @ Eircom.net
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89253958&postcount=5

Thanks for the IMAP settings, I'll try them but could you let me have more details, ie: incoming and outgoing settings?

Sorry....just saw the link. I'll grab a coffee and try your suggestion.

• Advertisement

Sorted...but in a weird way! I rang the Eircom help-line and followed their step-by-step instructions, (standard Eircom settings as above) but as previously, to no avail. I was on home Wi-Fi,, and just out of desperation I ticked the 'enable mobile data traffic' box. A few seconds later, I was receiving....and sending!!!
    Now, correct me if I'm wrong....but I thought that I didn't have to 'enable mobile data traffic' if I was on home WiFi ?
    Any thoughts?

OK, so I didn't realise that I'd have to enter my wifi password to set up my new phone for my free home wifi. Password entered, all working fine.
    If it was someone else, I'd say 'what an idiot'.
    But it was me, so it's totally understandable. We will never talk of this again......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    Talk of what...? :P

Glad you got it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Just make sure you have a data plan or understand the charges for data based on what mobile phone package you are on. Otherwise you could end up with a nasty surprise in your next bill.

Advertisement