Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moro / boost, which came first?

Options
  • 14-05-2014 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

hope you guys can settle a bet for me! has anyone got any idea which of these two bars came out first? i'm aware that boost was just moro rebranded here at one stage, but it was always boost in the UK. wiki has boost launched in 1985, but no date for moro. was this just a bulmers/magners parallel to do with marketing or copyright with names? anyone know? thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

moro was way after 1985 as far as i remember

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

https://www.cadbury.co.uk/sitecore/Content/Cadburydev/ie/Website/Home/the-story
    1980 IRISH CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE PRODUCES NEW PRODUCTS
    By the early 1980's the "era of new product development" was in full swing. This led to the introduction of new products such as Twirl, Moro, Chomp and Eclairs.

In fact, Cadbury’s Dublin factory became a centre of excellence for the manufacturing of these brands. Of course this required major capital investment to modernise the plant and the full support of the Irish Government and the IDA (Industrial Development Authority), who both recognised that Cadbury’s development programme would help Ireland’s export trade and provide maximum employment prospects. Was the new programme a succes? YES! So much so that: Sales increased significantly since the early 1970s. Even more importantly, exports increased substantially.
    no clear date given. Twirl was out in 1987 so the "early 80's" line does not mean all out pre 1985

both seem identical now
    https://www.cadbury.co.uk/products/Boost-2393?p=2393
    http://www.cadbury.ie/products/Moro-2393?p=2393
    Originally launched as Cadbury Coconut Boost in 1985,
    In Ireland, Boost bars are known as Moro bars. A peanut Moro bar is part of the range. In 2007 there was a limited-edition coconut Moro on sale in Ireland

Reading these would sort of suggest moro were never coconut before 2007, and therefore boost was out first, then changed to the current style of bar, which was then sold as moro here.

But on the other hand moro could have been sold before 1985 in ireland with no coconut and the boost changed to become it!

I would have guessed moros were out after 1985 though as I remember it being a "new bar" when I was growing up.

You could just email them, people have emailed a few companies before and they knew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Before both there was a Nunch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Moro was called Star Bar back in the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

SimonLynch wrote: »
    Moro was called Star Bar back in the 70s.

Is that not star bars that are around now and have been that I can remember back to mid 80s used to be in a brown wrapper and now orange?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Wouldn't know a Star Bar nowadays, I work in confectionery but hate chocolaty bars for some reason now (maybe ate too many in the 70s). Star Bar definitely became Moro in the late 70s, maybe early 80s, name might have been resurrected for a new bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭geecee

From my recollection:
    -Star Bars were out first
    -Then boost bar (coconut flavour)
    -After that came the Moro

In the UK Moro was introduced as Biscuit boost and Starbar was rebranded as peanut boost - thus there were 3 flavours of boot in the UK at the time

Advertisement