Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two devices. same number?

Options
  • 14-05-2014 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Recently I decided to treat myself and bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1" 4G LTE which I am really pleased with.
    My only problem right now is that my service provider "three" won't give me a duplicate sim for my Tab as I have on my GS5 phone. Which forces me to have two phone numbers and that to me is insane.
    I'm on a contract with all calls data and txt covered with €55 a month, I am really happy with the contract and the service (not customer service. ... ugh...)

So I came here hoping to find out if sharing a contract on two devices is possible, and / or a creative way of linking both devices so when I get a call both ring and I can answer with the one nearest to hand.

I have considered skype but keeping both devices thethered is a massive drain on the batteries + there is the all you can eat 4G data.

I would love a little help on this one please. I am not a person who likes to surrender to limitations.
    Thanks

Ps: if your idea is in a funny grey area of the law...or completely in the black. Please pm those replies as encouraging illegal behaviour is not allowed on any forums.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Are you sure the Tab 3 can receive calls? i know its 4G Lte but isnt that just for data and not for voice calls? so even if you could get duplicate SIMs i dont think it would work. Personally id just tether the Tab off the GS5

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

projectgtr wrote: »
    Are you sure the Tab 3 can receive calls? i know its 4G Lte but isnt that just for data and not for voice calls? so even if you could get duplicate SIMs i dont think it would work. Personally id just tether the Tab off the GS5

Yeah I'm sure it can make and receive calls. It has a keypad / dialer similar to the galaxy phones.

That was the plan tethering from the unlimited 4G on the phone. But it just erks me to find out that I can only have one phone number per device. I don't need two phone numbers, I need to sims with the same contract info. In the 21st century and this day and age everything should be possible when it comes to mobile communications.

Maybe someone knows a long winded work around, maybe not. But having a master sim and slave sims doesn't sound that far fetched to me.

Anyway thanks for the reply, not giving up yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

No Irish network provides this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Admldj

Is your phone likely to be far away while using the tab? If not, then its kind of a no brainer tether the tab from the phone for data and answer calls on the phone kind of what they were made for.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Admldj wrote: »
    Is your phone likely to be far away while using the tab? If not, then its kind of a no brainer tether the tab from the phone for data and answer calls on the phone kind of what they were made for.

Yes of course, the point is what I want to do with my device, I want it to ring when my phone rings, send my messages to my tablet and act in all ways exactly like my phone would. I don't like having to choose which device gets my sim card. The obvious thing would be to find an app or software that would allow a new sim to think it was my contract sim without getting blocked by the service provider. I don't know how this would be possible yet. But I'm certain I'm not the first person to have this issue.

maybe it can't be done I'm prepared to accept that, I'm just asking if anyone has ever heard of it, and if so , the method used to do it.

I've been calling all the services in Ireland and none of their networks can achieve it currently, which means the first network to be able to do it will have an advantage over other networks. maybe I'll have to wait 5 years. But hey ho it was worth a punt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement