Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring to UCC - paying difference in fees?

Options
  • 14-05-2014 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Back story. Was in NUIG for 2 years, failed 2nd year, took 2 years out, want to go back this year and finally finish 2nd year. However I want to transfer to UCC. I always believed that my fees for going to UCC would've been €2700, which is grand, I'm working to save up at the moment. However I was talking to the Admissions office in UCC just there and she informed me I'd be paying between €4000-6000 for repeating my year. I went online to see for myself and according to this little excel sheet they have posted up, for repeating a full 60 credits, I'll have to pay €7405, which I simply cannot afford. Even if I worked for ANOTHER year, I don't think I'd have that much saved even (not including living expenses).

So, I'm pretty devastated at the moment. I've been dying to go back to uni, especially at UCC. Now I went online to check how much repeat fees are in Galway and according to it's website, very simply; "If you are repeating a year of your course, the repeat fee is EU: €1,824."

Now why it's €1824 in one university, and €7405 in another university (both of which are run by the state) is beyond me. I know everyone will say "why dont you just repeat in Galway?" and without going into detail or talking about my personal life - I really, really, really REALLY dont want to have to go back to Galway. Lived there for 4 years and for a number of personal reasons I just cant go back.

So I'm wondering, although I think I know the answer (ie NOPE), can I re-register in NUIG, pay my fees there, THEN transfer to UCC? Or will I have to pay the difference? Some €5581? Even though transfers for UCC open in May and close in June...

Blah :( Does anyone have any advice on what I can do? Feeling pretty demoralized...

Comments

Advertisement