Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purpose built database

Options
  • 13-05-2014 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,

I am looking for advice on where best I can find a website or database that I can create for golf statistics, analysis & and player management.
    Can I download a template database and design my own or do I need to use a database from the likes of oracle?

Appreciate to be pointing in the right direction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

How are you going to enter the data? What are you intending to use to produce your statistics? What operating system are you intending to use?

There several database servers some proprietary some open source. There may be some open source application which may match your requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 coinman79

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm a novice in database design but have a good understanding in extracting data and compiling reports.
    Basically I'm looking for a database that a unique user has an account on, enters in vital golf stats i.e amount of putts, drives etc. you could then run reports and charts identifying strengths & weaknesses.
    Can u provide more help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

coinman79 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm a novice in database design but have a good understanding in extracting data and compiling reports.
    Basically I'm looking for a database that a unique user has an account on, enters in vital golf stats i.e amount of putts, drives etc. you could then run reports and charts identifying strengths & weaknesses.
    Can u provide more help?

You'll need to elaborate further.
    Is this a one off database only for your premises?

What you're describing is an application + a data model.

Have you any practice with MS Access, Filemaker or the like to put together a sample that works just for yourself?
    They have templates that would guide with the user management model and user login forms but you've a learning curve ahead to change them for your purposes.

Sounds you're hoping for a fairly specific data model that's unlikely to be there to be bought off the shelf.

If this is possible business idea that you are looking at developing, ideally write up a one page story on how you'd see a user interacting with the service.
    E.g.
    1) Would it be Tom a normal golf player, filling in the scorecard onto a web-page; or Harry, a club pro providing reports to people he's coaching.

2) Will the people using it see this a program on their desktop, an iphone/ ipad app, a web page.

3) draw out sample reports that you'd want as output. As detailed as you can.
    4) Draw out example forms of the input forms providing the data to create this, again as much detail as you can.

5) What would users see and fill in on their first visit to the system. Some sort of registration, requests for address, email?
    6) What would they see on subsequent visits, when they want to add in a new round.

If you see this becoming a web page or app then the whole user management and admin side will likely have to be purchased / developed for you so it doesn't fall over as numbers increase.

Advertisement