Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

intel nuc good deal!

Options
  • 13-05-2014 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Here is the link:
    http://m.ebay.ie/itm/400619400274?nav=SEARCH
    Hey guys just wondering if the deal here seems good value? I want the best htpc and this seems the way to go! It seems to come with all the bits I need except the WiFi card I think!! As its coming from the US it is very cheap but would there be a customs charge with this do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Potentially complete overkill tbh. Why do you need an i5? Is your HTPC going to be doing much more than playing/streaming 1080p content?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

kyub wrote: »
    Potentially complete overkill tbh. Why do you need an i5? Is your HTPC going to be doing much more than playing/streaming 1080p content?

I wanted to use it for browsing and torrents and maybe light gaming and also the missus would want to use it as her laptop is now defuncked!

kyub wrote: »

I wanted to use it for browsing and torrents and maybe light gaming and also the missus would want to use it as her laptop is now defuncked!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

Still overkill though unless your misus will be doing some serious stuff on her machine. Still, you'll have a very nice system in the end though!

squonk wrote: »
    Still overkill though unless your misus will be doing some serious stuff on her machine. Still, you'll have a very nice system in the end though!

Would an i3 do the job then?
    You seem to know your stuff if you don't mind me asking what nuc and accessories(WiFi card,ssd and ram) would you go with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Even i3 is overkill if it's just streaming and torrents. The baytrail version, running win7, 8 or Linux will do everything you need

http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/intel-nuc-systems/

If you want a home PC as well I'd probably go for an i3. Don't get me wrong, the Celeron isn't bad but it depends on what exactly you plan to do. Editing word docs etc. will be fine on a Celeron but if you are doing something more demanding, such as working with development environments or using photoshop etc. then the i3 would be a better match. I like to overspec a bit so I'd go with the i3.

I went with an i3 for my NUC. Here is my hardware spec

HARDWARE
    Wireless: INTEL 6235AN.HMWWB Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wireless LAN Adaptor
    NUC: D34010WYK3
    RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600 MT/s CL11 SODIMM 204 Pin 1.35V/1.5V Memory
    SSD: Crucial CT120M500SSD3 120GB M500 mSATA 6Gb/s Internal SSD
    Remote: XBOX360 Remote - 6CK-00002

It's worth pointing out that my spec is designed to run with Ubuntu. There is an Intel 7260ac Wifi/Bluetooth card on the go that would work OK with Windows but the 6235 is cheap and works well for me so far.

squonk wrote: »
    If you wthe a home PC as well I'd probably go for an i3. Don't get me wrong, the Celeron isn't bad but it depends on what exactly you plan to do. Editing word docs etc. will be fine on a Celeron but if you are doing something more demanding, such as working with development environments or using photoshop etc. then the i3 would be a better match. I like to overspec a bit so I'd go with the i3.

I went with an i3 for my NUC. Here is my hardware spec

HARDWARE
    Wireless: INTEL 6235AN.HMWWB Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wireless LAN Adaptor
    NUC: D34010WYK3
    RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600 MT/s CL11 SODIMM 204 Pin 1.35V/1.5V Memory
    SSD: Crucial CT120M500SSD3 120GB M500 mSATA 6Gb/s Internal SSD
    Remote: XBOX360 Remote - 6CK-00002

It's worth pointing out that my spec is designed to run with Ubuntu. There is an Intel 7260ac Wifi/Bluetooth card on the go that would work OK with Windows but the 6235 is cheap and works well for me so far.

Thanks man do you have a link to where you got the nuc
    Also how silent is this bad boy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Obviously this has no dvd slot. Would an external dvd drive work OK with this. The missus still likes to watch the odd DVD.

Thanks man do you have a link to where you got the nuc
    Also how silent is this bad boy?

I bought the setup off Amazon though you'd get stuff on Pixmania as well for instance. Shop around. I notice the prices seem fluid enough on NUCs so have a look around and see what you can find.

It's been quiet enough so far. I'm using it still in setup phase but I'll be trialling it out at the weekend as the build is nearly finished so I'll know better then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There is a very good chance you'll get hit with customs and duty charges. If so it will add about 25 - 30% to the price. Buying from the US can cause issues with warranty as well so it might be worth getting it from within the EU.

If it was me, I'd go with the i3 version. You'd need an ssd, ram and possibly a wireless card as well. An external DVD drive would work with these too.

Advertisement