Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impatiens (Busy Lizzy) this year?

Options
  • 13-05-2014 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,202 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I know there was a problem with them the last summer or two, but are these available from anywhere around Dublin this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I've seen them around alright. Woodies, B&Q. I don't know if that guarantees they won't be hit again though. I lost all mine 4 years ago and never tried them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,202 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I had a look in my local (Lucan) B&Q and Woodies in the last week or two and there were none there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I wondered why I haven't seen any for a couple of years now. Never mind - I made do with pansies instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

They're not stocking them due to a disease (which I can't remember off the top of my head) they received a few years back and they're not taking that risk. Only very few nurseries are doing them I believe.

I've seen them alright. Perhaps it was limited stock. Confidence in them is low I guess. Pity, they used to be a mainstay of the summer garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I'm having difficulty finding begonia and dahlia tubers. I was thinking of using begonias in a northfacing windowbox but can't find any.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,281 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't know about dahlias but there were plenty of begonia tubers around, maybe getting a bit late for them now. I have seen a few impatiens around for the first time this year, but as others have said, not many.

looksee wrote: »
    I have seen a few impatiens around for the first time this year, but as others have said, not many.

Do you remember where you saw them?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,281 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sorry unkel, I don't - well, I know one lot was in the UK, which isn't a lot of help, but I am drawn to stands of plants like a wasp to honey, so it could have been anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Pretty sure I saw them in Jones Garden Centre in Donabate a couple of days ago.

• Advertisement

Me too. And woodies in swords had racks full of them an hour ago

redser7 wrote: »
    Me too. And woodies in swords had racks full of them an hour ago

Just rang my local Woodies and they have plenty in now, thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Expert Hardware in Baldoyle had them earlier today. They are the chain/franchise of hardware shops painted in black and yellow. Dunno if all branches of the chain have 'em.

Picked up 4 6-packs in Woodies Lucan, thanks all :)

Holy moley. Try taking some cuttings early in the season and root them in water. They should have time to flower mid to late summer. Free plants :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Easy to grow from seed, woodies and most garden centers have them. I've loads on the go at the moment.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Mine all died a few weeks ago. Even the ones in a hanging basket. Same for 2 other people I know. Anyone else any experience?

Mine died too after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dadam

The bizzy lizzies I've had in pots have bn fantastic! Great bloom still! Will plant more next year!

Advertisement