Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone planted a courgette out yet?

Options
  • 13-05-2014 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

First year growing them and plant is big already. I know they are tender but how tender exactly?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Planted out one last week, I'm taking a chance on the weather, I have it under a fleece. Whilst its being cold, its not been frosty type weather. I only planted one this year as they can crop quite heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks, I have two on the go. I guess I should risk it.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Not yet, no....Only put them out into greenhouse yesterday, so will week or so...watch the slugs!!

Thanks. I sowed early and they are about 2 foot square now and running away from me! Think I'll chance one tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Last year I planted two of them out at the end of may. Like yours mine also were quite big plants already and they took it very bad. I didn't get any crop, there were few flowers but no fruit was set. This year I sowed the seeds only a few weeks ago, they have 2-3 true leaves at this stage, I'll give them another 10days or so on the windowsill and then move them outdoors. I have two plants of yellow courgette and two of spaghetti squash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've grown them the last few years and have found them to be quite temperature and sun sensitive. They don't like shade at all. I have two in the greenhouse and will only plant out before June if they get to big.
    Once they are in a sunny spot in the garden they will go mad, two courgette plants should be more than enough even for the most courgette crazy family.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Souness

Like you I was over eager sowing them this year and because of their size I had to plant them out last week. As its been pretty mild they are doing well and have started flowering (male only) so fingers crossed no bad late frosts and they should be fine. Good luck with yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

j@utis wrote: »
    Last year I planted two of them out at the end of may.
    Last year was a bad year weatherwise for most of the country 'til June, when things warmed up dramatically.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I have 2 from seed outside, planted about a month ago. A pair of leaves on both of them.

Finally planted mine today. One in the tunnel and one outside. Both have a courgette about 6 inches and plenty more buds on them. Will be interesting to see the difference as they grow.

• Advertisement

Have decided this Sunday is the grand Courgette and Tomato planting out day. I think we are past the worst of the cold nights and last years tomatoes have self seeded everywhere and are coming up like weeds so I reckon now is a good a time to take the plunge as any. The greenhouse is about to burst anyhow!
    resized_scotty-meme-generator-she-cannae-take-any-more-captain-she-s-gonna-blow-1bc725.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

redser7 wrote: »
    Finally planted mine today. One in the tunnel and one outside. Both have a courgette about 6 inches and plenty more buds on them. Will be interesting to see the difference as they grow.
    how is the one outside doing in this weather?
    mine has been out for 5 days now, it hasn't grown much if any at all.
    Plantinthecloche_zps8ae2fc38.jpg

Haven't been up to visit it yet. I hardened it off for a few days, keeping it in at night. I'd say it was shocked by the cold wind over the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Souness wrote: »
    Like you I was over eager sowing them this year and because of their size I had to plant them out last week. As its been pretty mild they are doing well and have started flowering (male only) so fingers crossed no bad late frosts and they should be fine. Good luck with yours.

Hi
    How do you know if male or femail plant please?
    I planted too many, about 16, most are flowering.
    They're only just hardened off in pots so I guess ready to plant out soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi
    How do you know if male or femail plant please?
    I planted too many, about 16, most are flowering.
    They're only just hardened off in pots so I guess ready to plant out soon?

They have male and female flowers on the same plant. The male flowers produce pollen. The female flowers have a larger swelling behind the flower. I tend to pick the male flower and hand pollinate a female flower on a different plant. I also find that the first flowers tend to always be male. When it gets warmer and the plant is stronger, they also produce female flowers. Once they are pollinated the fruits grow very quick. If you don't keep picking the small gourgettes, you end up with enormous marrows.

thanks yellowlabrador, that's very helpful

They have male and female flowers on the same plant. The male flowers produce pollen. The female flowers have a larger swelling behind the flower. I tend to pick the male flower and hand pollinate a female flower on a different plant. I also find that the first flowers tend to always be male. When it gets warmer and the plant is stronger, they also produce female flowers. Once they are pollinated the fruits grow very quick. If you don't keep picking the small gourgettes, you end up with enormous marrows.

16 :eek::eek:

You will not know what to do with them:)

16 :eek::eek:

You will not know what to do with them:)

I'm a novice!!
    If you're ever in wicklow area more than happy to give you some

Seriously, I'd recommend using the ground for something else for at least 10 of them. You'll still have enough to feed family, friends, relatives and half of Wicklow.

Supercell wrote: »
    Seriously, I'd recommend using the ground for something else for at least 10 of them. You'll still have enough to feed family, friends, relatives and half of Wicklow.

thanks supercell yes noted.
    would like some plants? i see from your location you're in loughlinstown
    i'm regularly in bray

• Advertisement

Thanks for the kind offer ellejay, my two are plenty enough for me. Chalk it down to experience!

ellejay wrote: »
    I'm a novice!!
    If you're ever in wicklow area more than happy to give you some

Thanks ellejay, but have 3 on the go at the moment and that's plenty..!!

As Supercell said, 6 would feed a multitude....

You should try Athena Polka variety at some stage if you haven't already...very striking!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Grindley

Last year (prior to harvesting) courgettes were possibly my favourite vegetable so I planted about 7 plants. Despite my best 'eating' efforts - every time I looked at the plants there were several courgettes growing of marrow size proportions. The result is that from that day to this I haven't been able to stomach them. This year I've planted two courgette plants with the hope of weaning myself back onto them - hope to harvest when they are small. Unless you only plan to eat courgettes over the summer, I too suggest that you lose some of those plants. G

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Use the marrows to bake stuffed marrows, make marrow jam, grate the courgettes mix with egg and use as a pizza base.
    cube a marrow and sweat in butter with tomatoes and onions and garam massala.
    Or else batter the flowers and deep fry.
    Line them on your garden wall with an honesty box.
    Give them to the Methodist church at the harvest festival.
    Don't let any visitors leave without taking some.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Ooopppss.

Planted four last year but only one survived and the courgettes were great. This year have five in pots in back garden and another 15 or more up the allotment. D'oh!!

My courgettes seem to be taking off. Weird color leaves belong to yellow courgette. I'm not sure whether it's lacking something or it's just because it's yellow c:
    2014CourgettesYellow_zpsf7aee7ec.jpg
    I know they're to close to each other but space is limited in our back garden, we'll see how they do.

• Site Banned Posts: 31 bumblebee2

The bumblebees and the honeybees from my 2 beehives were very busy today polinating my pumpkins plants and my courgettes today.They were also all over my thistle plants,poached egg plants and the catmint too.What a cracking day today to be doing some gardening.Great to see so many bumblebees back this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Grindley

The (bumble)bees are also enjoying the blooms on my broad beans. I'm happy to say I also have an underground bumblebee nest at the end of my garden. G

Quick update first courgette fruits are set:
    2014CourgettesYellow26-06-2014_zps148173d0.jpg

2014Courgettesround26-06-2014_zps730025f3.jpg

Can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Our first flowers appeared on Monday with fruit forming up behind. They really are very nice to look at. And tasty too I believe.

z

Advertisement