Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Getting started with kids.

• 13-05-2014 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭

I spend a lot of time out in the countryside walking the dogs and with my photography.
    However lately my Grandson wants to come out a lot more with me but as with all kids he gets bored after a while.
    Some one mentioned Geocaching as a way of getting him out and keeping him interested, I was wondering is this still an active hobby and are there suitable hunts for 5 year olds mainly around the west of Dublin.
    Also what is needed, I looked up one cache last night walking the dogs using my phone, the gps was out by 10m only I knew the area, I still had no joy finding the cache.
    the likes of boots etc are not required as we have them in abundance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

Geocaching is still a very active hobby
    but kids can still get board if its not found quickly, but it is great fun and they love it especially when they are left to find the cache with a bit of prompting sometimes and the places we would never of found do the the hobby is amazing.
    You dont need a gret deal the phone is a good starting point and is real time where as a GPS isnt you have to download the latest up to date caches and Info to the device. The phone is always up to date.
    Any device may only get you within a few meters you then need to search, the more you do, you get used to the hiding places. all caches are meant to use the leave no trace, but some can be very sneaky. I could find our very first one, hadnt got a clue what I was looking for, my 5 year old found it.
    Some caches are members only but a lot are open to everybody.
    here you can see the map of caches just in Ireland, zoom out and you will realise just how big a hobby it is.
    we have just hidden our first 6 caches in Mullagh and there will be more to come
    https://www.geocaching.com/map/#?ll=53.53051,-7.81677&z=7
    any more questions just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Thanks Vaperus, Are there any ones specifically aimed at kids for a day out?

Hi
    They are all kind of kid friendy its in the rules thats you are not allowed to leave items that are not kid friendly.
    But it then comes down to the terrain some can be on the top of a mountain for example.

The best thing is to look at the details
    for example the Cache size, difficulty and Terrain and pick out the easier ones at least to start with.
    Also the bigger containers usually have items in them that you can swap
    Bassically if you take something out you put something back, could be badges, small toys etc.
    Just check it is not a trackable, usually would have numbers stamped on them and the cache details would usually indicate theres a trackable in it. Trackables you have to log and move onto another cache if you decide to take it.
    Some caches can be tiny smally than a pen top
    some the size of a bucket
    some can be very well disguised such as a rock, or a twig and many others.
    They are everywhere, so best bet is maybe to pick a walk where there is a series of them, such as a canal or forest walk.
    until you get used to what you are looking for and how they are hidden. try and pick easy ones, Read the hints even contact some of the previous finders for extra clues.
    But be warned it can get addictive :-)
    If you need any help give us a shout. If you see Trysor9 on a log I chould be able to give extra hints.

How did you get on bernard0368

Advertisement