Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corked wine

Options
  • 13-05-2014 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭

It's a rare thing to get a corked wine these days and someone once told me that if you ever hear of anyone getting a corked wine you should ask for the chance to get a nosefull, just for the experience.

On Saturday night I had TWO chances.

Two of the four bottles of Château La Tour de By 2009 were tainted. I was saved by a very sharp Sommelier who caught the whiff of wet mouldy autumn leaves long before I did. My 'nose' is undeveloped and I was the last at the table to be able to pick out the (unpleasant) musty smell but now I have it locked in.

When talking with the sommelier about corked wines we asked if plastics or screwtops were any better. He tells me that even plastic corks can allow a wine to become corked. I've not come across it and am wondering if anyone else has?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

A wine can only be CORKED with a natural cork.

A wine can be tainted or bad with any closure. If it does not seal properly it can become oxidised or the wine may be tainted before bottling due to bad practices in the winery. People just generalise nowadays and call any off or bad wine corked which is fine and lets your sommelier or restaurant know that the wine is faulty and your not happy with it.

Apparently 1 in 10 wines are corked. Not sure if that statistic is for actually corked wines or all faulty wines.

Advertisement