Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crank hinges for 12 mm thick stock

Options
  • 13-05-2014 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I've just made a nice trinket box. Instead of using butt hinges i wanted to go for a more solid crank hinge for the lid, its going to get a lot of use so I thought crank hinges would be more durable. My research has left me a dead end thou...i can get crank hinges that fit 18mm thick stock (Hafele online catalogue) but i had no luck tracking down crank hinges for 12mm stock or less.Does anyone out there help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean Farrell

As i asked a stupid question I guess I'd better redeem myself and be the only one to reply to this thread i started. So here is my reply .Look at the Hafele catalogue properly "dumbo" there are crank hinges there that accomodate 10 mm thickness stock. Just rout out the 2mm on ur 12mm stock to make the hinges fit properly. I hope the moderators out there do not delete my post for being abusive...i dont think their is a rule that does not allow u to send an abusive post in reply to urself. Thats an intersting one I'd love an answer too, and by sending this i have now reached around 30 posts in tota. Just another 20 to go before I'm allowed to send another photo...yippeee..now time to make some more rediculously inane posts to reach the magic number. Thanks Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Hi Sean, don't be too hard on yourself :D
    Have you checked out www.hawthornecrafts.com ? Ian sells very nice box hinges which are only 8 mm wide. They need routing in the box top and lid so a router table is a must. Not cheap at £27 per pair. I have ordered similar gold plated hinges from www.rockler.com - a bit cheaper but can take two weeks to come through.
    Can you order direct from Hafele or is it through an agent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean Farrell

Thanks for the encouragement recipio...sorry for not getting back to u sooner(work & family commitments, u know urself) I rang Hafele Head office (Kilcoole)during the week. and a sales agent,nice bloke,fair play to him directed me to their showrooms in Santry. It was just up the road from me so I got on my bicycle and popped in. After an initial "ignoring" period of a what felt like 2 minutes while the guy behind the counter punched numbers in on his desktop without even looking up...it reminded me of the BBC comedy show Little Britain's "Computer Says No" sketch.,,,, anyways I'm meandering...back to topic...I finally ordered a quantity of 10mm crank hinges at a princely sum of 75c each before vat.They were'nt in stock so I should get a shout from them Tuesday week.

The gas thing is although I have made up a basic router table for myself, i dont use it... i end up making jigs for all the hinge and box lock recessess.

That was a great website u directed me to btw. Only thing is I think those leaf hinges, as I call them, are a bit pricey for the boxes that i make, but its nice to know of Ians hardware for future reference. When I finish my little project I'll put it up here for u to get a better picture. Just one question Recipio,Do u find shipping costs for rockler a bit too much or do u bulk order?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Sean, I thought those hinges might be too pricey for 'trinket' boxes.! Have a look also at www.fine-boxes.com. Lovely hardware but so........ expensive.No wonder his boxes sell for up to £3000 !
    The Rockler hinges are excellent quality and I actually prefer the gold plating to brass for quality boxes.I usually order a few items from Rockler, maybe once a year and bite the bullet with postage costs.If you keep it under $100 and use USPS it will probably slip through without customs charges. Ideally someone in the US might send them to you as a gift ?

Advertisement