Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good whisky for a 60th birthday gift?

Options
  • 12-05-2014 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

My Dad will be 60 in a few months and he is very difficult to buy for. I'd like to get him a nice bottle of whiskey, preferably under 200 euro a bottle. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

You can't go wrong with a Bottle of Midleton Very Rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

What type of whiskey does he typically drink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Passenger wrote: »
    What type of whiskey does he typically drink?
    He usually likes Jameson, the ordinary stuff, we used to buy the more expensive Jameson for him but he doesn't like it as much. Whatever gift I buy he'll say 'lovely' then put it aside. He's just that kind of man, so it's more about just getting something decent and not stressing too much about a perfect gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Ah ok, I thought that he may have been a particularly discerning Whiskey drinker when you mentioned the €200 budget. ;)

To be honest a quality gift whiskey would be Yellow Spot, a single pot whiskey from Midleton. Should be around €75 which would be well within your budget range too. You'll find many proponents of this particular whiskey around here too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm gonna second Midleton Very Rare and say that since it;s his 60th you and after the whiskey will have 60 spare you should buy some proper whiskey glasses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Midleton very rare.

Nectar.

I would nearly swear it pours like olive oil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Redbreast 21 year old, a wonderful dram of Whiskey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

Midleton Rare is a good whiskey, but over rated for the price.

I received a gift of the full collection of seven different Eradour Cask whisky many years ago - still have 2 unopened bottles.

Its the smallest commercial distillery in the world and one of the oldest.

http://www.masterofmalt.com/distilleries/edradour-whisky-distillery/ (they deliver to Ireland and include the duty)

3 different bottles presented in individual wood boxes will come to about €200.

pa990 wrote: »
    :D, very tempting but my mother would kill me, she'd have to peel him off the floor:D

• Advertisement

skelligs wrote: »
    Midleton Rare is a good whiskey, but over rated for the price.

I received a gift of the full collection of seven different Eradour Cask whisky many years ago - still have 2 unopened bottles.

Its the smallest commercial distillery in the world and one of the oldest.

http://www.masterofmalt.com/distilleries/edradour-whisky-distillery/ (they deliver to Ireland and include the duty)

3 different bottles presented in individual wood boxes will come to about €200.
    These are something we'll definitely consider for my father in laws birthday. He's a big fan of the single malts, especially the Isaly ones and he's 70 next year. We got him a bottle of the Midleton very rare for his 65th and he loved it, or at least he said he did, either way none of it went to waste:)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Edradour is a distillery that divides people... a bit of a Marmite. But your father in law may love it.

Master of Malt do a lot of their own bottlings, like the Boutique Whisky range. You could get a few of those. Clynelish is usually a good bet. And they have a new range called Darkness. It's various whiskies finished in small casks remade from sherry casks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Jameson Distillery Reserve personalised bottle €60

https://shop.jamesonwhiskey.com/p-13-jameson-distillery-reserve-personalised.aspx

Advertisement