Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New planning regulations

Options
  • 12-05-2014 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

For a one of build by a builder rather than self build what impact will the new regulations have on the process from both a cost point of view and sign off. What additional steps are involved?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

i assume you mean the new building control regulations?

after you get planning you need to appoint a design certifier & assigned certifier. their fees will be higher than those seen previously as the level of work, site visits, commitment & liability has increased significantly. They may well state that they are 'not an engineer' (or 'architect, or heating engineer') and further professionals may be required to ensure the building is in compliance with building regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mlife

BryanF wrote: »
    i assume you mean the new building control regulations?

after you get planning you need to appoint a design certifier & assigned certifier. their fees will be higher than those seen previously as the level of work, site visits, commitment & liability has increased significantly. They may well state that they are 'not an engineer' (or 'architect, or heating engineer') and further professionals may be required to ensure the building is in compliance with building regs.

Hi BryanF,

In general what additional costs approximately does the extra regulations cost the home owner on a new build ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

mlife wrote: »
    Hi BryanF,

In general what additional costs approximately does the extra regulations cost the home owner on a new build ?
    get three quotes (check PI cover and chartered membership)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,362 ✭✭✭✭Penn

mlife wrote: »
    Hi BryanF,

It's next to impossible to provide approx. costs because costs so far are varying wildly, and depend on a lot of factors. Plus even though the regulations have only been in force for less than three months, many projects were started before the new regulations came into effect in order to be subject to the old regulations, so fewer projects than normal have started since March 1st.

As Bryan said, get a few quotes from reputable professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Sorry for bumping- I have agreed a fee with a design certifier (who is also the architect). We haven't gone to tender yet. Are there any additional costs I should plan for e.g. are contractors building this into their prices (as their work is now under increased 'scrutiny' if that's the right word)? Or is the extra cost to someone building a one off house currently confined to the certifier fee (if that person was always going down the contractor route). Or is it all very up in the air within the industry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

A lot remains to be seen really. Very early days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

MizMix wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping- I have agreed a fee with a design certifier (who is also the architect). We haven't gone to tender yet. Are there any additional costs I should plan for e.g. are contractors building this into their prices (as their work is now under increased 'scrutiny' if that's the right word)? Or is the extra cost to someone building a one off house currently confined to the certifier fee (if that person was always going down the contractor route). Or is it all very up in the air within the industry?

Will you need to engage an Assigned Certifier too? Or it that a typo in your post?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Typo - get mixed up with the terminology. Our architect will be the design and assigned certifier.

Advertisement