Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gluten free restaurant

Options
  • 11-05-2014 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hey, recently found out im gluten intolerant and finding it hard enough to get round it!now my friend is home from oz for a week and is visiting me for a night and i was wondering can anyone recommend a restaurant that has nice gluten free options??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

according to the google machine, the azur and freddys bistro both have non gluten options
    found some info here and here

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Friends who are gluten-intolerant seem to find Indian restaurants have many gluten-free choices for some reason. For example, Copper and Spice restaurant has mainly gluten-free dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭you wha?

great!thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

marco polo
    Milanos
    casa nostra
    del arte
    All do gluten free pastas pizzas and dishes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Freddy's Bistro actually has a seperate GF menu rather than a regular menu with a 'c' beside a coeliac friendly dish

The GF menu isn't much different (if at all from the main menu)

Other half is a Coeliac & they are well up to speed here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Hi you wha?
    As you're gluten intolerant I presume you have to avoid gluten completely?
    I must avoid all gluten in my diet as I was diagnosed Coeliac 18 months ago.
    I'm still getting my head around it. Takes a bit of getting used to.
    Sometimes it seems like gluten is either a hidden ingredient in everything or else there's a risk the food has been cross contaminated with gluten in the packaging/cooking process.
    But I think awareness is improving as the Gluten Free diet is becoming popular (latest trend) even with mainstream people and there are more GF choices all the time.

Even if you're not coeliac check out http://coeliac.ie/webboards/index.php you might find some helpful gluten free information on the forum there or on the Coeliac Society's main page www.coeliac.ie

This week is Coeliac Awareness Week 2014, 12th to 19th May, but I don't know if the restaurants will bre any better informed/prepared because of it :)

To me the best 2 are Freddy’s Bistro www.freddysbistro.com (I think the owner or manager is Coeliac) and Cornstore www.cornstorerestaurantslimerick.ie
    They have many GF options, delicious food and gave me great confidence that they really understood coeliac requirements.

I've also eaten in Milanos and Sage Cafe on Catherine St. www.facebook.com/TheSageCafe with no issues.
    Hamptons on Henry St have GF options too on a nice varied menu www.hamptonsgrill.ie

Others in Limerick: Copper and Spice indian restaurant have "Wheat Free" options marked on their menus (? not sure they understand the difference between wheat and gluten!).
    Casa Nostra on Mount Kenneth have GF pasta but not sure they understand fully Coeliac requirements, beside it is Dominos pizza.
    Absolut Hotel, Bella Italia and Azur have GF options on their menu's but I've not eaten there yet since diagnosis.

Cornstore, The Locke and Clohessys stock gluten free beer (Estrella and Greens) makes a nice change from drinking Bulmers all the time.

Best of luck!

rok wrote: »
    Hi you wha?
    As you're gluten intolerant I presume you have to avoid gluten completely?
    I must avoid all gluten in my diet as I was diagnosed Coeliac 18 months ago.
    I'm still getting my head around it. Takes a bit of getting used to.
    Sometimes it seems like gluten is either a hidden ingredient in everything or else there's a risk the food has been cross contaminated with gluten in the packaging/cooking process.
    But I think awareness is improving as the Gluten Free diet is becoming popular (latest trend) even with mainstream people and there are more GF choices all the time.

Even if you're not coeliac check out http://coeliac.ie/webboards/index.php you might find some helpful gluten free information on the forum there or on the Coeliac Society's main page www.coeliac.ie

This week is Coeliac Awareness Week 2014, 12th to 19th May, but I don't know if the restaurants will bre any better informed/prepared because of it :)

To me the best 2 are Freddy’s Bistro www.freddysbistro.com (I think the owner or manager is Coeliac) and Cornstore www.cornstorerestaurantslimerick.ie
    They have many GF options, delicious food and gave me great confidence that they really understood coeliac requirements.

I've also eaten in Milanos and Sage Cafe on Catherine St. www.facebook.com/TheSageCafe with no issues.
    Hamptons on Henry St have GF options too on a nice varied menu www.hamptonsgrill.ie

Others in Limerick: Copper and Spice indian restaurant have "Wheat Free" options marked on their menus (? not sure they understand the difference between wheat and gluten!).
    Casa Nostra on Mount Kenneth have GF pasta but not sure they understand fully Coeliac requirements, beside it is Dominos pizza.
    Absolut Hotel, Bella Italia and Azur have GF options on their menu's but I've not eaten there yet since diagnosis.

Cornstore, The Locke and Clohessys stock gluten free beer (Estrella and Greens) makes a nice change from drinking Bulmers all the time.

Best of luck!

WOW!!thanks for that info.i only had an allergy test last week and he said i was gluten intolerant so i started straight away but after looking further into it, i failed.who knew gluten was in everything ha but i started properly today and goin ok so far!
    thanks for all the info :)

Freddy's Bistro actually has a seperate GF menu rather than a regular menu with a 'c' beside a coeliac friendly dish

The GF menu isn't much different (if at all from the main menu)

Other half is a Coeliac & they are well up to speed here

Went to Freddy's last night and it was AMAZING!thanks for the recommendation :)

Advertisement