Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT Accommodation 2014/2015

• 11-05-2014 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi All,

I’ve just been accepted into the Irish College of Musical Theatre which will host classes at DIT Rathmines starting Sept 2014

I’m just wondering what type of accommodation I should go for?

Which type is better value and better fun?

I wouldn’t mind sharing a house/flat with a number of other lads or girls, or going Student accommodation as long as they could deal with a singer and dancer!! :) or a single room in shared accommodation anywhere within walking distance of DIT Rathmines.

Please feel free to discuss other options on this forum. If there are any IMT or Music students also looking to house share, because of the mutual music interest and practice required, that would be ideal for me, PM me!

If anyone has any links for great accomodation that they have used please post them here!

Thanks!

Which is better Value and Better Fun for an 19th year old lad 10 votes

Student Accommodation
    0% 0 votes
    Shared House
    40% 4 votes
    BedSit
    60% 6 votes
    Renting a House
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

You can knock off student accommodation from that list if you're in Rathmines. None available to DIT students unless you want to be financially gouged. :pac:

Otherwise you shouldn't have much trouble finding accommodation around Rathmines. Lived there for 2 years of 4 and I always found it a nice enough spot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Needmockhelp

Oh really? Student Accommodation thats expensive! Where would you advise to go? like Websites and that

Oh really? Student Accommodation thats expensive! Where would you advise to go? like Websites and that

daft

What would be your monthly budget for rent and bills etc?

Unsure at the moment. The average amount most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

I have a room in a shared apartment in Dublin 8 and my rent is €400 per month. Previously I shared a room in Dublin 1 and paid €275 per month. Groceries and shared utility bills tend to cost about €40 per week.

Sharing a bedroom in the DIT-approved apartments can cost €200 per week (!!!) and they ask for payment up front, rather than monthly rent. They probably have more restrictive house rules than a place you rent independently.

• Advertisement

jrmb wrote: »
    Sharing a bedroom in the DIT-approved apartments can cost €200 per week (!!!) and they ask for payment up front, rather than monthly rent. They probably have more restrictive house rules than a place you rent independently.

All very true. I was in Gateway Student Village in Ballymun two years ago. It's the cheapest of the lot (at least it was @ €115 all in). Was living with a friend from class who had a car so we drove in everyday to Bolton St (there was a fiver a day deal for parking in the Ilac Centre). Ended up in Gateway really as we were both desperate for somewhere for the year.

Single rooms in Gateway, three to an apartment. Just looking at their site, it's costs a lot more now than it was two years ago. It is nice to not have to worry about ESB, internet, heating etc bills though.

I'm finishing my final year on Monday (:D) but this came in the college email today.
    As you are probably aware, there is a serious shortage of accommodation in Dublin. DIT and DIT Students’ Union are working together to try help you with this as best we can and so here are a few tips for next year:
    · If you will be looking for new accommodation for the next academic year, book it as soon as possible.

· If you have accommodation at the moment, try and hold on to it for next year.

· Finally, if you are a final year student or are going on Erasmus or placement next year and will be leaving accommodation in Dublin, please try and pass it on to a fellow DIT student!

We have block booked even more beds than last year (560 in total) in the Purpose Built Student Accommodation (Griffith, Gateway, etc…) and we are working on booking even more exclusively for DIT students. However even with this, we believe that there will still be a shortage come next September.

Information on the block-booked accommodation can be found on the DIT and DITSU websites.
    There is also a Facebook group for DIT students looking to share accommodation or people to share with.

You may also have to look further outside of the city centre for accommodation and using websites like Daft.ie can help in the search, especially with Saved Searches and Email Alerts set up. Find out how to set these up here and here and how to find out closest bus/Luas routes to college here.

Thanks guys for your help. I know now that the max i should spend per month on rent can be €500 and can be located anywhere between DIT Rathmines and Trinity. Any suggestions?

Advertisement