Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what does a Mathematics degree in university consist of?

Options
  • 11-05-2014 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Basically I'm doing the Leaving next month and I'm trying to decide what to put on my CAO form as my first choice.

In school i really enjoy maths and it's what I'm good at but i've been told that 3rd level maths is nothing like it is for the LC ( I've been told it's basically all theory).

would anyone be able to explain to me what a 3rd level degree in maths consists of? Or just an example of the topics that are studied?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Paulway

If you enjoy maths and are a comfortable “C” grade then you’ll be able to manage maths in college. Remember maths is an active subject – you cant read/study maths – you have to be working – doing – practicing “ics” - movement, EFFORT…
    There is pure maths and applied maths – very different animals indeed. Calculus will become a major part of your life in any case as well as statistics and numerical analysis. If you like maths you may also like Mechanical/Civil Engineering or even technology and computer sciences. Which might make life paths clearer when your finished with college. A guy/girl with a maths degree is a guy with a maths degree. A guy with an Engineeering Degree is an Engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lee711

yeah, engineering is my first choice at the moment, but i just want to know I'm making the right choice.
    In school at the moment i'd be happy to have 8 classes of maths a day, and i'm doing applied maths as well, aiming for max points in both, so that's not the problem.
    Could you give me in an idea of any of the specific topics studied in a pure maths degree, such as any principle or theory?

The detail below is prob. not what you need to be spending your time on at present but is included to get it off your mind.

Pure Mathematics focuses on the reasons why mathematical processes work, leading to a better understanding of how to recognise the circumstances where they don’t work, what to do instead in those situations and how to evolve new techniques and results.

Applied Mathematics studies the mathematical modelling of real-life problems from areas such as finance, biology, medicine and physics.

Pure mahs and applied maths are very, very different. I found pure maths very difficult even with time, it is a natural ability thing.... Whereas Applied was difficult but could be mastered with hard work and many hours.

My A.M. was QUB and their modules are here. (www)qub.ac.uk/puremaths/handbook

Look, its important to follow a course in college that you find interesting and Pure Mathematics Applied Mathematics and in my case Physics will certainly tick that box. You will learn things and be able to take part in conversations that not allot of people could imagine/follow and that’s fantastic. But 3/4 years will pass and you'll be looking for the next step. If your still absorbed and good enough then you may continue with study.....if your ready to move on then your choice now will make that easier or harder depending on weather your course of study was Vocational (eng. ) or not vocational (maths/history/english...) Hope it helps. In any case if you do find you have made an incorrect decision, you can always "start over" you can actually....no decision in terms of education is wrong... think of it as an iterative process. It'll work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Paulway wrote: »
    A guy/girl with a maths degree is a guy with a maths degree. A guy with an Engineeering Degree is an Engineer.
    I wouldn't agree with that distinction at all. Engineering graduates end up working in all sorts of different careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lee711

Paulway wrote: »
    The detail below is prob. not what you need to be spending your time on at present but is included to get it off your mind.

And that is exactly what it has done, i think I'm just going to stick with the engineering, and see how that goes.

Thanks for the advice, it was very helpful

• Advertisement

djpbarry

Of course you are right. Engineering graduated end up in all sorts of places....even as radio broadcasters... the same can be said of any speciality.
    My point is that when the two inexperienced graduates come out to face the world at a fresh 23 years old, the engineering graduate as a clear direction in which to start. Difficult for the average mathematics graduate to find work as a mathematician.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I think if you are able for maths at LC then you should be able for it at College
    Maths graduates tend to end up as statisticians, accountancy, IT, education among other professions
    If you're reluctant to do pure maths a science degree where you can do other subjects along with maths is an option, I think in some universities you can do Maths as part of Arts so those options should be looked at.

Advertisement