Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laminate Floor - House over Apartment

Options
  • 10-05-2014 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Don't know if I'm on the right thread, if not please move, Thanks.

I'm in the process of buying a small house over apartment. The carpet in the living room downstairs is in very poor condition and I plan to replace it with laminate flooring.

Can anybody advise me with the best possible price for insulation, covering both heat and sound for a laminate floor at a reasonable cost. Figures so far are about 45€ a roll (varies between 10 and 15 sq meters). I've no problem with cost generally but expect/like value for money most importantly quality.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

A layer of 1/2" plasterboard laid flat under the floor is a great way of helping with soundproofing. there are a multitud of diffrent types of floor underlay all at various prices ranging from e8 (dirt) up. Theres a heavy blue foam one i like best, the thermal insulation in nearly any of them is pretty poor and i wouldnt be given much faith in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Hi Miname,

I've seen the blue foam one in most of the shops so will price this one.

Thanks for the advice.

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

As it's a shared building it will be a leasehold rather than freehold. In cases like that you might not be allowed to put wooden floors in.

You should check the terms of the lease before fitting the new floor as you might be made take them out again if noise is an issue for the people below.

Hi guys,

Talked to the auctioneer and he has told me that he has sold several of these properties that had laminate floors and couldn't see any problem.

I will check with the management company first before I go any further.

Thanks for your replies.

J

Hi all,

Talked with the management company and it has no problem with a laminate floor. So blue underlay it is.

Anybody got any idea on the best price around?

Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭tenbob1

Seriously. Please post both the tog rating and db rating of the blue underlay . I will then give you the rrp and ratings of a better one if it's available

Hi Tenbob1,

This is what I'm looking at,

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/trojan-silent-blue-underlay-15mx1mx3mm-15m2/13455/1.3.2.2

Thanks for your reply.

J

Trojan Silent Blue Underlay 15mx1m
    Thickness: 3mm
    Roll: 15m2
    - For Laminate & Semi Solid Flooring
    - Suitable for Underfloor Heating Systems
    - Closed cell cross linked, which means that it is long lasting
    - Thermal Resistance 0.088m2k/w
    - Impact Sound Insulation 22db
    - Tog 0.87

Advertisement