Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S3 keeps freezing

Options
  • 10-05-2014 3:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭

Its starting to p me off at this stage

it just freezes a random times 4/5 time a day for the last week or so.

still have about a yr on my contract.

would a factory restore sort this??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

nc19 wrote: »
    Its starting to p me off at this stage

it just freezes a random times 4/5 time a day for the last week or so.

still have about a yr on my contract.

would a factory restore sort this??

Try it. Back up your pics, music and contacts first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Have a Blackberry that does the same even with the battery fully charged. Trawled the help sites on the web and they recommended cleaning the battery and terminals gently with a clean cloth. Also making sure that apps you're not using are actually turned off (closed so they are not continually checking on web). Have done resets a few times and deleted cookies and history etc. but still bombs out mid sentence. Might work for you but my Blackberry is for the chop.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

Samsung released Android 4.3 and messed up the phone quite bad and then stuck a plaster over it to make is just about useable.

A factory reset will probably help but only for the short term. You'll notice after a while the same old problems starting to reoccur again.

If your storage is running low on your phone it's also a good idea to free up some space as that can affect performance too.

What is slightly annoying is that Samsung won't be releasing Android 4.4 on the S3 even though it should be able to handle it but I guess all the Samsung bloatware causes problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Zen 2nd wrote: »
    Samsung released Android 4.3 and messed up the phone quite bad and then stuck a plaster over it to make is just about useable.

A factory reset will probably help but only for the short term. You'll notice after a while the same old problems starting to reoccur again.

If your storage is running low on your phone it's also a good idea to free up some space as that can affect performance too.

What is slightly annoying is that Samsung won't be releasing Android 4.4 on the S3 even though it should be able to handle it but I guess all the Samsung bloatware causes problems.

Its too old at this stage anyway - root that sucker and put CM11 on it....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭G1032

Fieldog wrote: »
    Its too old at this stage anyway - root that sucker and put CM11 on it....

CM11 will give you plenty of freezes too!! Got fed up with it last week and went back to stock. Not an issue since........!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

G1032 wrote: »
    CM11 will give you plenty of freezes too!! Got fed up with it last week and went back to stock. Not an issue since........!

Really?

Maybe Sammy ain't released the proper binary drivers for KK so -

They may never at this stage if they scrapped the KK update...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭G1032

Fieldog wrote: »
    Really?

Maybe Sammy ain't released the proper binary drivers for KK so -

They may never at this stage if they scrapped the KK update...

Ya. CM11 was laggy. Used to freeze up. Switched to Slim ROM and that was fine but I went back to stock for the better camera. Happy out with stock now using KK Launcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Try throwing Auto Memory Manager onto it? Have thrown it onto my own phone, and it automatically frees up memory by itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭patq16

I had a similar issue with my S3 for months .Sent it to fonemenders in Limerick.They updated software and did factory reset.Worked for about 3/4 weeks and went back to freezing randomly again.
    Took it back in to them again and they replaced the motherboard.Same story , it worked perfect for a month or so and then same random freezes again.
    Took it back a third time and they replaced the motherboard again with an upgraded board.Hasn't froze once in three months.There is a well known issue with "Insane Chip "motherboards and sudden death issues with the S3.You can find an app on the Play Store to check if your phone has the insane chip or not.My first two motherboards showed up as having the insane chip but the upgraded motherboard is clear.You have a two year warranty with Samsung so any repairs are free of charge with Fonemenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Media999

patq16 wrote: »
    I had a similar issue with my S3 for months .Sent it to fonemenders in Limerick.They updated software and did factory reset.Worked for about 3/4 weeks and went back to freezing randomly again.
    Took it back in to them again and they replaced the motherboard.Same story , it worked perfect for a month or so and then same random freezes again.
    Took it back a third time and they replaced the motherboard again with an upgraded board.Hasn't froze once in three months.There is a well known issue with "Insane Chip "motherboards and sudden death issues with the S3.You can find an app on the Play Store to check if your phone has the insane chip or not.My first two motherboards showed up as having the insane chip but the upgraded motherboard is clear.You have a two year warranty with Samsung so any repairs are free of charge with Fonemenders.

This.

Get rid of it before it freezes every 10 minutes and eventually wont boot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement