Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old photo from Ireland

Options
  • 09-05-2014 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I have an old photo from Ireland of an older woman and a young girl. On the back, my grandmother (died in 1981) wrote: "Jack and Mary Jean great great grandmother taken in Ireland". Jack is my father and Mary Jean was my late aunt. My dad is still alive in his late 80's.

Below that note about 1/3 up from the bottom is written in small script handwriting "Madame Gosanquet, 63 Patrick Street, Cork" (may be Gosanquet).

I could send the scanned front and back of the photo to someone but I am mainly interested to know a few things.

1) What city in Cork might this be?
    2) What years might the photography studio have operated?

My father's g-g-grandmother was Mary Healy who married John Connell (or O'Connell). They had at least four daughters who migrated to America, Elizabeth, Catherine, Ellen and Anna. Catherine was my great grandmother. Elizabeth, who married Jerome Sullivan, had two children in Ireland before she emigrated to America. Her daughter Annie was born about 1852. She looks to be about 8 years old in the photo and they emmigrated about 1860.

Lots of information here but cannot get past the above information. Would love to find my ancestors further back in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Actually Cork City.

This might help -

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=384859.0

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Madame Bosanquet appears to have been a photographer in Cork in the 1890s at least - someone with Cork commercial directorys may be able to track it down.

Cork is the only city in Cork and if its a set photograph, e.g. indoors posed for a camera it was almost inevitably taken at the address given.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Throw the address into google, I think it's a closed travel shop two doors down from a McDonald's.

The Cork City Library website will have old business directories so you can verify the details of the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ODonnellAboo

MYOB wrote: »
    Madame Bosanquet appears to have been a photographer in Cork in the 1890s at least - someone with Cork commercial directorys may be able to track it down.

Cork is the only city in Cork and if its a set photograph, e.g. indoors posed for a camera it was almost inevitably taken at the address given.

It definitely looks like a posed photo. Is there a way I can post it to the boards? If not then I can try imgur and post a link to the front and back.

I am in a glee club in Cincinnati, Ohio named "The Friendly Sons of St Patrick Glee Club". We are traveling to Ireland and will go through Cork. Perhaps I will have a little time to visit the library to look at the City directories.

Mark
    PS - we are also looking for pubs to sing at. :-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/streetandtradedirectories/

Not in the 1893 or 1913 ones as far as I can see.

• Advertisement

Ties in with the years given by the OP anyway. Having the money to have a photo taken in the 1860s would imply they weren't pure peasant class which increases the chance of their being some form of records somewhere.

Many Cork Catholic church records are on the NAI site - http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/ - http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/parishes/Cork%20&%20Ross%20(RC).pdf shows the areas; other religions records are online on pay-for sites. If the family weren't Catholic there's some chance of some civil records maybe existing also.

All of you have been very helpful. As I am a new user I'm not yet allowed to post URL's.

(Else I would post a URL to show the images).

Is there a way to earn the rights to post URL's?

But all of this information is helping greatly. Thank you!

Sláinte!

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

from Photographer DB
    Madame Bosanquet, 63 Patrick St., Cork,1867,H&C
    John Bosanquet, 63 St. Patricks street, Cork city, Co. Cork,1870 [and landscape] Slaters
    Mrs. Bosanquet,63 Patrick St., Cork,1875,Guy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

My father's g-g-grandmother was Mary Healy who married John Connell (or O'Connell). They had at least four daughters who migrated to America, Elizabeth, Catherine, Ellen and Anna. Catherine was my great grandmother.

I think you mean your father's g-grandmother, because her daughter was your g-grandmother, so maybe the photo says 'great' rather than 'great great' also...

Well, there's...

Me
    My father (Jack)
    My grandmother (Betty Malloy, died 1981)
    My g-grandmother (Juila Crowley, died 1904, young)
    My g-g-grandmother (Caherine O'Connel, died 1917, the immigrant)
    My g-g-g-grandmother (Mary Healy, from Cork)

But My grandmother was writing about her son Jack and Mary Healy so g-g-grandmother written on the photo. But yese she would be my 3g-grandmother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

My g-g-grandmother (Caherine O'Connel, died 1917, the immigrant)

Ah, so she was your g-g granny, that solves it :)

Actually it would be nice to know what is the earliest surviving photo taken in Ireland...

Ah, so she was your g-g granny, that solves it :)

Actually it would be nice to know what is the earliest surviving photo taken in Ireland...

Yes, Catherine O'Connell (or Connell) was the immigrant and my g-g-granny. Catherine came to Cincinnati and married John Crowley. We think John Crowley was from Dúnmaonmhuí, Cork, Ireland (Dunmanway). Other siblings to John emigrated to America and settled in Saratoga Springs, NY.

The photo taken at 63 Patrick Street, Cork, is of my g-g-g-granny Mary Healy and one of her granddaughters. One sister of Catherine O'Connell, Elizabeth O'Connell did not emigrate until 1860. The other three sisters seem to have emigrated in 1850 based on their responses to U.S. Census questions. Elizabeth married Jerome Sullivan. We speculate they lived in Cork and the photograph is the mother of the four emigrating sisters who remained in Ireland, Mary (nee Healy) O'Connell. When Elizabeth left for America with Jerome Sullivan her husband, they had two children, Annie Sullivan and Daniel Sullivan.

So in the photograph we see little Annie Sullivan, standing next to her seated grandmother Mary (nee Healy) O'Connell, said photo being taken at 63 Patrick Street, Cork at the photography studio of Madame Bosanquet.

So perhaps this will help us locate Mary (nee Healy) O'Connell and her husband John O'Connell and what became of them. Maybe we will even located other descendants?

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

[So perhaps this will help us locate Mary (nee Healy) O'Connell and her husband John O'Connell and what became of them. Maybe we will even located other descendants?]

There were 3 John O'Connells in Cork in 1856 [Slaters Directory]
    John O'Connell, tanner, Clarence St
    John O'Connell publican 18 Dublin St
    John O'Connell tailor 27 South Main St
    see http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/streetandtradedirectories/1856slatersdirectorycorkcityandcounty/1856generaldirectory/
    In 1870 Slaters
    John Thomas O'Connell Solicitor 61 South Mall
    John O'Connell bootmaker 91 Georges St
    John O'Connell publican 25 South Main st
    http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/streetandtradedirectories/1870slatersdirectorycorkcityandcounty/1870generaldirectory/

No trace of a John O'Connell/Mary Healy marriage or children in Cork on Irishgenealogy -
    There is a baptism of a Nelly Connell, daughter of John Connell and Nelly Healy 1844 in Oven see http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/7a18fb0250957

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The OPs photo (front and back)

WUmNv2O.jpg

hHGEutZ.jpg

Thanks for posting these for me.

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Assuming the family is Catholic, you could look at parishes whose records are not online. Not sure if there are gaps in the parishes covered online though. As the photo was taken in the city centre, you could start with the records of the North Cathedral. As far as I know, the County Library has an index to these but not sure if they do lookups. The Cathedral itself does searches of the records for a fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Ponster wrote: »
    The OPs photo (front and back)

WUmNv2O.jpg

hHGEutZ.jpg

Brilliant photo, I love these old pictures its great to be able to put a face to the names on the family tree. Unfortunately in my family no one had a camera before about 1920 (or the money to go to a professional).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Anyone thought of Reggie Bosanquet yet?

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Anyone thought of Reggie Bosanquet yet?

Was the only reason I could figure out how to spell the surname!

For many years I suspected the "63 Patrick Street, Cork" would be a photography studio. I always thought the name above was "Madame Gosaugnet". In the photo I notice some objects like the table and chair, and the tassel hanging down in the upper left. It seemed to me this might have been a standard method of taking photos in a studio. The subjects need to be posed in a manner where they don't move.

Then one day a couple weeks ago I did a google again, as I have been doing for many, many years, and the "63 Patrick Street, Cork" led me to BOARDS.IE where someone else had written about a photography studio with "Madame Bosanquet" at 63 Patrick Street. This is an amazing find for me.

I always marvelled at the way the photograph was also lightly watercolored. I think that is original but have no way to prove it. My grandma died in 1981 and I never knew about the photo until she died.

I know only from family tradition that there were four sisters who emmigrated to America from Cork. But the US Census records show three came in 1850 and one in 1860. We are thinking that when the sister who came in 1860 (Elizabeth {nee O'Connell} Sullivan) left Ireland perhaps she had this photo taken of her mother (Mary {nee Healy} O'Connell) seated in the chair, with Elizabeth's daughter Annie Sullivan.

I am directly related to Mary O'Connell and Elizabeth would be a 3rd great aunt, with Annie Sullivan my 1st cousin, 3X removed.

I will be in Ireland in late June/early July with the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick Glee Club, of which I am a member. We will be in Cork June 28-30 and hope to have some free time to go to 63 Patrick Street. Maybe I will even have time to go to the library and do some lookups. It is difficult to do the Ireland genealogy research from the USA but all of you have been very helpful and I am grateful to you.

I suspect that the current building at 63 (http://www.property.ie/commercial-property/63-Patrick-Street-Cork-City-Centre-Co-Cork/94068/ - it appears to be a travel agent at the moment, http://www.falconholidays.ie/about-us/travel-shops/) is a replacement as Cork City Centre was extremely badly damaged during the War of Independence - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Burning_of_Cork

Advertisement