Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any experiences with IC & Lletz?

Options
  • 09-05-2014 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

I've had 2 Lletz procedures done in the past. The second time I was getting it done the doctor mentioned to me, that as they had removed a good bit of the cervix that it would be wise, if I ever got pregnant to have it checked out as soon as I could as it could lead to an incompetent cervix.
    I am now over 12weeks pregnant with twins. When I went for the booking appointment, the public health nurse just said, that lots of women have lletz and have normal pregnancies. I am well aware of that, but would also like to just be checked to put my mind at rest if everything is indeed fine, then maybe I can relax about it and if its not, have it dealt with properly. I have been talking to my GP about it, but we were both under the impression that at the booking appointment, I would have a proper opportunity to talk to someone about it and not be "shushed". I was so mad leaving the appointment as she really didn't seem to care about my concerns.
    I'm not really sure where to go from here, I have read a lot on the internet that it doesn't seem to start being a concern for a lot of doctors until you have actually experienced a loss due to IC. Given my risk factors, I don't want to wait that long.
    Anyone have any idea where I should go from here? I'm at a bit of a loss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭emz8

I had two Lletz treatments as well and had been told the same thing. I'm having my baby with the Domino scheme in the Coombe. At my first appointment (the one were they take your bloods/ask a million questions) the domino nurse said she wanted me to have an internal scan to make sure all was ok before they would take me onto the Domino Scheme, so she got that organised for me.

When I went to the Coombe to have it checked, the consultant made me feel like an idiot for going in to get it checked, said it was completely unneccassary, but sent me for the scan anyway (I assume because the appointment had been made), then the sonographer was a bit of a bitch about it as well. Said the same thing, that the midwifes panic and send everyone to be checked when its not needed.

I've always had problems with my cervix and bleeding so was glad they had sent me. I'm 39 weeks now and had no trouble at all, but if your worried about it I'd maybe bring it up again and tell them your concerned and want it checked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Thank you emz8, it's good to hear that you were fine after having 2 Lltez done.
    I have already had the first appointment where I was assured by my gp that I would be able to have a good chat about my concerns but it was not the case at all. I brought it up about 3 times and was pretty much gold to stop being so silly. I can understand being hesitant to doing an internal examination but a cervical scan takes about 5 secs. I know in a lot if countries these are done as standard.
    I've already had two scans at the hospital and mentioned it to both the sonographers but they didn't check(maybe not their job) but did tell me I would be monitored. Everyone seems to be saying that but no one is doing it. Who is responsible for it? I did want to do midwife care at a satellite clinic but as I am having twins it's not possible. I'm not sure who I should be bringing the issue up with now as have been brushed off by everyone so far.
    Is it possible to get private scan done and if an issue is found, can I ring the hospital and request an appointment?

Best of luck with your impending delivery:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 glisten

Thank you emz8, it's good to hear that you were fine after having 2 Lltez done.
    I have already had the first appointment where I was assured by my gp that I would be able to have a good chat about my concerns but it was not the case at all. I brought it up about 3 times and was pretty much gold to stop being so silly. I can understand being hesitant to doing an internal examination but a cervical scan takes about 5 secs. I know in a lot if countries these are done as standard.
    I've already had two scans at the hospital and mentioned it to both the sonographers but they didn't check(maybe not their job) but did tell me I would be monitored. Everyone seems to be saying that but no one is doing it. Who is responsible for it? I did want to do midwife care at a satellite clinic but as I am having twins it's not possible. I'm not sure who I should be bringing the issue up with now as have been brushed off by everyone so far.
    Is it possible to get private scan done and if an issue is found, can I ring the hospital and request an appointment?

Best of luck with your impending delivery:)

Hi Orchidspretty,

It can be annoying when they won't listen to your concerns, I didn't have twins but here's my story if it's any help....

I had 2 lletz treatments also and the doctor informed I needed to tell the midwives if I did get pregnant. They organised an internal and external scan for me in the main radiography department in mullingar. My cervix did appear short by half a centimetre and the lovely radiographer said I should go straight back to my doctor and make sure it's not overlooked.

The doctors were to check it again at 23weeks to see if I needed a cerclage stitch, but I was ignored when I brought it up. They didn't listen or bring it up again and it was always on my mind. My GP reckoned I could go approx 4/5 weeks early due to the cervix being short and weak.

In the end I had nearly a 10lb baby, was 2 weeks overdue and needed to be induced. So all turned out fine like the hospital said.

If you are concerned, maybe your GP could arrange the scan? (If that's possible). I hope everything goes smoothly...and you have a nice pregnancy getting to know your 2 little ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Thanks Glisten, its good again to hear some positive stories as most of what is out there is quite negative and mostly US based. I did go back to my GP and despite her being really compassionate about it in the beginning, she doesn't seem to care much now. She stated that 10-15 years ago it would of been an issue due to different techniques and when I pointed out that I had my last treatment 10 years, she just ignored it. I have an appointment with a consultant next week and just hope that someone is going to listen to me. If not I am going to get a private scan done, just to put my mind at ease. I understand that services are stretched but it's so frustrating as I know that this can cause serious issues for some people so I don't feel like I am being irrational about it. It took me so long to get pregnant in the first place I just can't adopt the wait and see approach that the 'professionals' seem to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 glisten

Do get a private scan if you are worried. The less stress you have at the moment, the better! I know I worried about it too and it's just not worth it.

Hopefully your consultant will be a bit more approachable about the situation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement