Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting Stairs

Options
  • 09-05-2014 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

We bought a house last year that's varnished pine hell!! I intend to replace all the doors, skirting, architraves before the end of the year but have some time off coming up so thought I might tackle something small myself. I'd like to paint the stairs (banister & spindles) white but am not a DIY head by any stretch. Would I have to sand it down and then start or can I paint it with a primer (?) and then a few coats of white gloss??
    Appreciate any advice ..... should be evident from above that I've barely opened a tin of paint in the past!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

It will need a good sanding and dusting off before painting.Then put 2 coats of undercoat on followed by one coat of gloss or satin finish.Do your filling after the 1st undercoat.
    Be warned its a tedious job to take on if you want to do it right.

There will be the need to fill nail holes and nicks with a powdered filler and there will be gaps that will need filling with a flexible filler called chaulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

BIN primer is your best friend....expensive but does the job well.

Advertisement