Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduction to Red Wine for a non-wine drinker!

Options
  • 09-05-2014 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

My other half is a confirmed beer, ale or stout drinker. He likes finding the wild & wonderful brews to try but he is sworn off wine.. thinks it smells like vinegar. In all honesty, I dont think he has every given wine a chance or even tasted any but he revealed for our wedding, he would possibly like to have some wine with the meal instead of beer!! Shock! lol!

I like my red wine - usually new world and not too full bodied but I'm no expert. I'm going to cook a nice meal this weekend, probably steak or game & choose a nice red wine to introduce him to the world of wine!

Would anyone have any suggestions of what would be a good introduction wine for him that isnt going to put him off for life!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

If you are going for a Valpolicello do make sure it says Ripasso, a standard Valpolicello might be a bit light and acidic. The Ripasso will be a bit richer and smoother, a little more expensive but worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Rioja reserva, nice and warm.

Or I'd get several quarter bottles of various wines to taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Valpolicella Ripasso all the way, followed by Shiraz.
    Stay away from Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Heroditas wrote: »
    Valpolicella Ripasso all the way, followed by Shiraz.
    Stay away from Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot!

I would have put the peppery shiraz as much more of an acquired taste than a wishy washy soft merlot.

Best introduction would possibly be a wine tasting evening, or a wine bar that does samples! See if there are any in your area. I know some in cork city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Heroditas

pwurple wrote: »
    I would have put the peppery shiraz as much more of an acquired taste than a wishy washy soft merlot.

"No, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any fcuking Merlot!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Shiraz is a terrible idea and not a good pairing for steak. Good for Provencale styles of cooking, and grilled barbary duck breast.

For steak, you want at least a medium-bodied wine with a nice presence of dark fruits and, if you steak is likely to be a bit fatty, like ribeye, then get something with some tannin to cut through it.

I think Ripasso is a good suggestion but it needs, needs, needs to be let breathe for a good few hours.

Alternatively, a lighter Spanish crianza or reserva can work as they can seem a bit 'sweeter' and fruity, but you need to pick the right one as some can be quite heavy on the darker, leathery/green pepper notes, which are wonderful and give good structure but seem calibrated more to work with Spanish meats and cheeses, chorizo, jamón, manchego, mahón, etc. I prefer taking risks on reds, but for something reliable, you might consider Marqués de Riscal, or Coto de Imáz reserva (the latter is, I think, owned by Campo Veijo, but it's their high-end version).

There are some excellent Argentinian malbecs, but I'm just not knowledgable enough about those wines.

Alternatively, if you think the safest route is wines of the 'fruit juice' variety, you could try out a decent Beaujolais Villages or Cotes de Rhone. A full-on Burghundy just would be a waste this time.

But one of the best 'wines' is the power of suggestion. Your OH appreciates the nuances of the grain, so help him appreciate the grape by suggesting to him the flavours, how it pairs with the steak, lull him into the poetry of wine by waxing lyrical and by encouraging him to go with the experience and then reflect on it. He might be pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Just get out there and try to get him to drink as many good quality reds as he can (not all in one evening). Trying to predict what someone else would like is a lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭limnam

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Just get out there and try to get him to drink as many good quality reds as he can (not all in one evening). Trying to predict what someone else would like is a lottery.

This.

But, I would just pick a couple of bottles that _you_ enjoy, relax and have a few glasses maybe throwing in what it is about a certain wine you like, why you like wine etc. but don't make it a big deal if the two of you are having a nice meal together the center piece should not be what's in the glass.

If he doesn't enjoy it he can try a glass as you try out new wines if he still doesn't find one don't worry about it too much. You won't have to share your bottle ;)

Advertisement