Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chess Club

Options
  • 09-05-2014 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Is there any free Chess Clubs in Dublin?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Most will probably ask for a few quid to help cover rent. Maybe you'd be able to head along to a few meetings for free to see if it's for you. But unfortunately bills do have to be paid!

What part of Dublin are you looking in?

Alternatively, internet chess can be free. Doesn't have the social aspect of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 xsofacouchx

Preferably City Centre of Dublin. I wouldnt mind chipping in for bills, just as long as it wasn't a membership fee.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I think if you've anything long-term in mind, you won't have a way around membership fees. Which is essentially the same as chipping in for bills.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

You could always play in some of the weekend tournaments without joining a club. You would get a feel for competition chess and see if you enjoy it.

You would have to be a member of the Irish Chess Union which is €20 for unemployed and €35 for waged.

There's a list of upcoming tournaments on the ICU website.

Mind you, it might be just as cheap to join club for the year. I dont know about Dublin clubs as rent will be higher but our membership is €80 per year.

Advertisement