Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ucd campus waiting list

Options
  • 08-05-2014 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, just applied for campus at ucd today and I'm around 1,500 on the waiting list! Really scard because that's the only college I'm really interested in. Do any of you think I have a chance of being accepted, since only like 700 1st yrs are accepted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ManonRiv

F_Fitz wrote: »
    Hi, just applied for campus at ucd today and I'm around 1,500 on the waiting list! Really scard because that's the only college I'm really interested in. Do any of you think I have a chance of being accepted, since only like 700 1st yrs are accepted

Hi :) i am number 1544 on the list ! Lots of people said they have been offered a room last year although they were number 2000 so we should be fine i guess ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AmyT73

Hi,
    I am 1326 on the waiting list and have been told that if you are under 2000, you have a high chance of getting an accommodation. But I was wondering if I would still have a big choice in terms of residences ? Many 1st years choose Belgrove or Merville so do you think that I will still get the chance to choose between them or will they be already full ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dave26992

There is a high chance you'll get to choose. I was way up in the waiting list when I was in first year (2010) and I missed out, got offered through the hear scheme instead. The only thing I'll say to comfort you is that at least 40% of people ahead of you if not more won't be going to UCD. They either won't get the points or it isn't their first choice and they'll get something else. You should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AmyT73

Thank you Dave for replying! I'm reassured now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭STADEdeLUC

I'd say im goosed anyway with 3005, time to pack the tent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭omicron

STADEdeLUC wrote: »
    I'd say im goosed anyway with 3005, time to pack the tent

No necessarily, there could be a few thousand on the list who won't get an offer from UCD.

You could get an offer for a less in demand place, Blackrock or maybe Roebuck Castle.

Dave26992 wrote: »
    There is a high chance you'll get to choose. I was way up in the waiting list when I was in first year (2010) and I missed out, got offered through the hear scheme instead. The only thing I'll say to comfort you is that at least 40% of people ahead of you if not more won't be going to UCD. They either won't get the points or it isn't their first choice and they'll get something else. You should be fine.
    Thank youuu that is reassuring me :) ! Also is it true that people that are far away in the list may not get offered a place on the 1rst day ( 20th of augusy this year ) but on the second or third day ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DaisyFay

Yep, only a certain number of places are offered each day until all the spaces are full

DaisyFay wrote: »
    Yep, only a certain number of places are offered each day until all the spaces are full

Oh i hope i will get an offer in the first 2 days ! I am bad at waiting ;) !

• Registered Users Posts: 3 The moose

Being more realistic last year a mate of mine was number around number 1250 and didn't get on campus! It does change every year though I suppose but if I was 1500+ I wouldn't get my hopes too high

• Advertisement

The moose wrote: »
    Being more realistic last year a mate of mine was number around number 1250 and didn't get on campus! It does change every year though I suppose but if I was 1500+ I wouldn't get my hopes too high
    That is weird cos lots of people around 2000s said they got places ...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pacni

There seems to be a lot of confusion over this. The waiting list that you sign up to in May can have anyone sign up for it. They just have to have UCD somewhere on their CAO application - this doesn't mean they get in. Whenever accommodation offers go out, they take everybody off the list who didn't get in or who have got in somewhere else. At this point, the list jumps down by about 2000 people. So if you are at around 3000 or lower before this jump, you have a good chance of getting a place. If it's after the jump in August and you're still over 1000 then you probably won't get a place because there is only ~750 places for first years. So when people are saying what places they/their friends were on the list, it's important to specify when.

pacni wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of confusion over this. The waiting list that you sign up to in May can have anyone sign up for it. They just have to have UCD somewhere on there CAO application - this doesn't mean they get in. Whenever accommodation offers go out, they take everybody off the list who didn't get in or who have got in somewhere else. At this point, the list jumps down by about 2000 people. So if you are at around 3000 or lower before this jump, you have a good chance of getting a place. If it's after the jump in August and you're still over 1000 then you probably won't get a place because there is only ~750 places for first years. So when people are saying what places they/their friends were on the list, it's important to specify when.
    Thank you, that is a clear explication :) ! And that is keeping my hopes high !

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭omicron

The moose wrote: »

They could have been 1250 at the end (i.e. after the first round of accommodation, and all the people who didn't get offers in CAO were removed from it) but there's no way they were 1250 when the waiting list started and din't get an offer of some sort (even if only Blackrock or Roebuck Castle).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

How does it work for Mature Applicant first years? They apply to the CAO as well. Do you apply for the waiting list as soon as you applied to the CAO? And then Mature offers go out in July, do they still wait until August like everyone else for accom offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

If you're beyond 1,500 I wouldn't be too hopeful.

I don't mean to dash hopes but people are catching on to the system over the years and the list has nearly 1,500 in the first day. UCD has the most first choice options on the CAO out of all the Universities in the country and there's a Maths bonus too so more people are getting their course and getting accommodation.

If you're below 2,000 I'd say it's not looking good.

This comes from a person who applied every year and was successful all but once. You get to know a system very well when you sit up all night pressing refresh until the system opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭STADEdeLUC

What are your options if you don't get accommodation on campus in UCD? Is it just fend for yourself and find somewhere for 9 months or are you given help in finding somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

STADEdeLUC wrote: »
    What are your options if you don't get accommodation on campus in UCD? Is it just fend for yourself and find somewhere for 9 months or are you given help in finding somewhere?

They won't help you unfortunately.

There's this new place that used to be a hotel across from UCD. It's been renovated this year and re-opened as student accomodation. Very pricey from what I've seen but if it suits some of you then why not.

http://zigguratstudents.ie/

Advertisement