Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber for Wood Sliding Door

Options
  • 08-05-2014 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I'm looking to construct a sliding door to separate my kitchen and sunroom.

So far I've a lot of reclaimed pitch pines and oaks in the house but want this door to stand out.

The door will be 5&half foot wide by 8 foot tall.

I would like the forum advice on suitable timbers to make this from.

Ideally I would like the timber to have plenty of character and I will not be painting it. Something native would be a bonus.

I've attached a sample style of the door.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Are you using the pitch pine/oak or are you looking for another timber.?
    The main difficulty with doors is to find timber that will not warp after a few months usage. If you have the time its well worth roughing out the dimensions then storing it for month or two in a dry room.
    American walnut is quiet stable , not all that expensive and looks great imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coin

Thanks for reply.

Trying to use different timber if I can. Am currently considering Douglas Fir.

Douglas Fir is a lovely wood. Let me know if you find any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

are you sure its 8' lenghts you need, most standard ceilings are 8' and the track and rail system will bring it down. old railway sleepers can be a great source of distinctiv looking timber, even the new ones that can be bought when sawn and machined throw out lovely looking boards with character.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coin

Apologies for he retro post, just thought I would post up what the finished product looked. 8ft elm planks, 6ft in width altogether.
    Couldn't find any Douglas fir that was quite dry enough in the end.

• Advertisement

coin wrote: »
    Apologies for he retro post, just thought I would post up what the finished product looked. 8ft elm planks, 6ft in width altogether.
    Couldn't find any Douglas fir that was quite dry enough in the end.

Well done, it looks very rustic.
    With all those nails holding the vertical boards you may get some splitting later on as the wood dries out completely - but that's ok with a rustic look.

Advertisement