Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IIHF World Championship 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Nordicgael

some interesting games so far - only day 2 and already a few upsets-
    France beating Canada yesterday and today Lativa beating Finland.
    it makes the group stage more interesting than usual

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I'm more surprised to see France beating Canada than Latvia beating Finland.

When Latvia and Finland play they always end up with a similar score and sometimes going into overtime. Also Latvian team has a few fresh hard-working faces too. Here's a clip from a LAT - FIN game a couple of years ago.

yes i agree, usually there can be close fin v lat games.
    the reaction here in finland is one of dismay- the performance of the team is getting critised and the fear is because Finland play russia this evening - if fin lose that they will then find it hard to progress out of group stage.
    will be interesting to see if Finland can bounce back just like Canada did last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I have to say, situation in group B is very interesting, with USA nearly squeezing past Kazakhstan this afternoon, it really feels like everyone can beat everyone (except Russia, they should have a group of their own this year). It looks like after 7th round many teams will have equal amount of points and then every goal will count...

A lot of games aren't predictable this year, but that only makes this 2014 championship more interesting. :)

• Advertisement

Un-f***ing-believable. Latvia scores a goal and referees wave it off and refuse to review it. In the playback it was clear that there was no reason the goal shouldn't have counted. Head coach ironically applauded to the referees.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭cena

Where are ye watching the games

cena wrote: »
    Where are ye watching the games

onhockey.tv streams them

well Latvia is not the first team in this tournament to be robbed, the referees have made such bad decisions, IIHF have apologized Czech Republic for poor judgement during 3 of their games - all of course after Skoda have raised their concerns and thoughts about pulling out of sponsorship.

I never really understood why North Americans don't respect IIHF, they never send their best people, they don't respect IIHF disqualifications, IIHF calendar and so on. It all finally starts to make sense - IIHF is a joke.

Quarter finals results-

Usa 3-4 Czech republic
    Russia 3-0 France
    Canada 2-3 Finland
    Sweden 3-2 Belarus

some good games and surprising to see usa and canada beaten.

Semi Finals-

Russia 3-1 Sweden

Finland 3-0 czech Rep

Russia go into tomorrows final unbeaten in this championship and finland a surprise finalist after their terrible start losing two games in a row.
    hopefully we have a good game but hard to see anything but a russian win.

• Advertisement

What a strange championship this year.

Finland almost didn't qualify for quarter-final, and now they will play for gold.

Also, head coach of team Russia might get disqualified or something over this:

Nordicgael wrote: »

surprising to see usa and canada beaten.

not surprised at all. Their performance was quite flaky and you can't really ask more from 3rd grade players they have on their roster

I don't expect the final to be very interesting, even without head coach Russia looks very solid.. Finns could use Tuukka Rask now..

Final-

Russia 5 - 2 Finland

some preformance by the russian team in this championship- unbeaten and unbeatable!

Final-

Russia 5 - 2 Finland

some preformance by the russian team in this championship- unbeaten and unbeatable!

It was another referee controlled game. Finland could've won the cup.

No doubt referees were awful but mistakes were made in favour of both and Finns really lost their temper late in the game. All and all interesting tournament with lots of surprises but sadly ruined by unprofessional officials. I hope IIHF will step up their game next year

yeah the refreeing in the championship has been strict- sometimes frustrating but finland were not likely to win at least in the 3rd period - russia scored i think 3 powerplay goals - finnish team were too inconsistant this year- scoreline proberly flattered russia but the best team won the gold?

yeah the refreeing in the championship has been strict-

it wasn't strict, it was unprofessional. Jagr just admitted to Czech media he has never seen referees so bad, he called them amateurs, clowns and claimed they should end they're IIHF career together with him. I'm not Czech but I agree with him completely.

Never in his career I've seen him that upset and I think IIHF should really listen to him.

I'll drop this case with one last final gem I found today. This is the game between Canada and Norway. We discussed before how Latvia got robbed in this championship in a game against Belarus, now look at this - this also was not counted for Canada because Huberdeau was "in the crease"

853698198.gif

Advertisement