Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeder fishing tips?

Options
  • 08-05-2014 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all

I'm pretty new to this coarse fishing lark and recently have been hitting the Royal Canal around Longwood and Enfield with pretty mixed results. I generally bring two rods and use one for feeder fishing and the other one for float fishing - I just have a couple of questions for you seasoned and highly skilled individuals!

1. My feeder rod has only ever caught one fish, in about four sessions! I'm clearly doing something wrong! I generally just tie a short hooklength to the feeder and chuck it in with some shop bought groundbait, and generally sweetcorn or a worm on a size 14.

2. My float rod does a lot better and generally catches Roach fairly consistently - but that's it. I generally use a small waggler and a size 16 hook with an 8ft hook length. Again sweetcorm or worm as the bait. How can target other species? I'm certain there are bream and possibly tench around.

3. How much ground bait should I use?

4. Any other tips to increase my catch rate, which currently stands at a rather paltry 3.2 roach per session!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

What type of Hook length are you using ?

Try using Maggots or Pinkies if you can get them for hookbait, also it's not a case of how much groundbait to use as it depends on the conditions, i.e:

Is the water coloured ?
    How cold is it ?
    Is it a sunny day ?
    Have you raked your swim ?

Personally I wouldn't bother with the Feeder on those stretches, I'd just concentrate on perfecting your waggler fishing

21/25

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I am new to the coarse fishing too and last year I started out the same - two rods, float & feeder. But one day I noticed a small knock on the feeder, I hardly noticed it and by the time I put down the float it was gone.

So I changed to just the feeder [holding my finger on the line to feel any twitch while I read to pass the time], and the feeder became much more successful. Also, I initial wasn't hitting the small nibbles but waiting for a strong take - but then I changed and started hitting at the gentlest bites I found I started catching tench!

So, I would say pick one - float or feeder and concentrate on that to see if things improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bigjohnnykeats

Thanks for the advice!

Uch I'm generally use a size 14 / 16 hook on the feeder tied about 3 / 4 inches from the feeder. I'm guessing from your other questions that groundbait works better in differing conditions? I've never raked a swim, would it be worth doing? How long before your session should you do it?

Croo - that's interesting, I've read elsewhere you're supposed to ignore the small taps and just hit the big ones - I think I'll try your advice!

Thanks for the advice!

Uch I'm generally use a size 14 / 16 hook on the feeder tied about 3 / 4 inches from the feeder. I'm guessing from your other questions that groundbait works better in differing conditions? I've never raked a swim, would it be worth doing? How long before your session should you do it?

Croo - that's interesting, I've read elsewhere you're supposed to ignore the small taps and just hit the big ones - I think I'll try your advice!

OK Johnny, first and foremost, on the feeder I'd use at least a 12-18 inch hook link as you want the fish to be able to pick up the bait without feeling any resistance (play around with the length till you find what works ), if you are only using 3-4 the fish are probably feeling the resistance and dropping the bait before you get a chance to react. On the float, make sure you plumb the depth accurately and fish at dead depth, then adjust to 4 or 5 inches overdepth if you get no action, play around with this and you'll find whats best for the swim you are in.

Also don't be too set in your way regarding hook size, I would use all sizes between 16 & 24 on the canal depending on how the fishing is going. I'd also recommend that you go to your local tackle shop and buy a Hook tier ( I find matchman tier the best ) and learn how to tie Spade end hooks as they are much finer for presentation of bait and will result in more bites.

As regards Raking the swim, I generally Rake the swim when I arrive, then setup my gear, and by the time you have everything setup the swim will be grand to feed and fish. The one thing to remember about groundbait is that you can't take out what you've already put in, so if you introduce too much at the start you could kill the swim for the day, so on the canal I find using smaller amounts are better, a golf ball sized ball to start with and you can introduce more as needs be depending on conditions.

The one thing to remember is that we all get days where we catch feck all, so just enjoy it even if you catch nothing, it's still a day out.

21/25

Also Learn how to tie a Patternoster for feeder fishing

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 bigjohnnykeats

Wow uch thanks a million for all the advice! I think I'll try raking the swim next time and try a much longer hook length on the feeder - I'll let you know how I get on - hopefully get out one evening this week!

Advertisement